Wort chiller "technology"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's probably just a small piece of what ever they made the chiller out of that sticks out into the flow of the water forcing it to tumble or spin around the inside of the chiller . . . think rifling like inside a gun.

Water turbulation can actually be a PITA in my line of work causeing lower flow rates and higher pressures in my firehoses

I can't say firsthand as I haven't actually seen/touched one but I seem to remember reading something about these things a while back. I believe they simply put some type of filament or ribbon inside the tube so that the water traveling through the tube is "mixed", ensuring that maximum heat is pulled from the wort. YMMV.

actually it makes very good sense. in the hvac industry - large heat exchangers will have indentations in them and smaller heat exchangers may have some type of filament inside to disturb the air flow...thus reducing laminar flow

even with very laminar flow, the small scale we are working with makes the argument moot. i would challenge them to show even a measurable difference between a 50 foot coil of 3/8" copper with and without whatever 'flow-turbulationer' device they are advertizing.

even with very laminar flow, the small scale we are working with makes the argument moot. i would challenge them to show even a measurable difference between a 50 foot coil of 3/8" copper with and without whatever 'flow-turbulationer' device they are advertizing.

Being that this post was from 4 years ago and the page link is dead I would venture to guess that you might be correct.

wow i didnt even see the date. i wasnt searching... how the hell did i find this thread? :confused:

Perhaps laminar flow led you here. Or maybe destiny. In any case we all get to enjoy the Ruffles comment.

Back