Wort chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butler1244

Reaction score
I know most people on here recommend making them, but for lack of better things for my fiance to get me for Christmas, I'm asking for one so I can be lazy. I have a 10gallon Polarware kettle with thermometer. I'm just wondering if the thermometer probe inside the brewpot will get in the way and prevent the wort chiller from reaching the bottom. If so, what are the suggestions besides a plate chiller? Or is that my only other option? Ice baths just aren't cutting it.

How long is the thermometer? I see the 10-gallon Polarware is 15" diameter. If its something short (around 2 inches) you'll be fine ... if it's longer, you'll have problems.

I'll have to measure when I get home. I didn't even think of that. I will have to check the diameters of the wort chillers and see how far into the kettle the thermometer goes. Maybe I will have to just make one myself a put a small gap in it for the thermometer to go through.

Thanks for your quick response.

I had the same issue when I made mine. Made a n00b mistake. While the corny was in the kettle for clearance purposes, it cleared the probe fine. Didn't take into account how much the copper would loosen when I took it off the keg.

The probe gets in the way, but the chiller works fine.

I'd highly recommend making your own. For the 25 foot ones most retailers offer, I think it's $85. You can make one using 50 feet for about $60

Looks like I will just buy that from sears and follow the instructions the HBT posts. That price is tough to beat! I already have hoses and clamps so I'd be crazy not to just make it.

Everything gets in the way.....but not in a serious or fundamental way. When I'm at flameout, I have the IC, the stirring paddle, a stick thermometer clipped to the side, and an oxygenation wand in there. I can run the IC and stir just fine. (I have a 30 qt. SS pot.)

Just make one to suit your equipment! If you go for interwoven coils like I did you can use any even number of coils, half of them wound left handed and half right handed. The coils can be any size you want. Scale it down and practice with brake pipe, then when you are happy, make a full size one, or using the bending principles within this link, make anything you like

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/massive-diy-wort-cooler-96ft-long-145690/

For a spiffy stainless chiller, nybrewsupply.com has them for the ~same price as copper. He also sells just the tubing, but it is the ~same price as a pre-made one. He will also do custom diameters/configurations for (I think) the same price.

He uses thin walled stainless, so the heat transfer properties are virtually the same as copper, without all the psychedelic colors. You can also use a SS IC in a jockey box if you need to. Can't do that with copper.

RE: temp probe, you could always put a spacer between the coils to leave a gap where the probe sits. Just angle/shift it a bit to get it in.

Don't have a Polarware but I have a Blichmann and no, the temp probe does not cause any problems using my standard 25' Copper IC. I can also swirl the IC around a bit to aid in quicker cooling but yeah, I may bump the probe a bit but it's no biggle, just do it more carefully and gentle. But anyhow, it should fit fully in the pot with no problem. If it were a problem I think there would be plenty of complaints going on about it.

Rev.

Back