Wort chiller pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just bought this pump and I was wondering if anyone has some insights on how to proceed to cool my wort with it. I am not sure If this pump will break when passing the almost boiling wort through it. Does anyone have some advice or technique? Should I pass cold water? Or tap water and then cold water? Any suggestion would be really appreciated.

I don’t think running hot wort through it is ok, that pump is not designed to work with boiling liquids.

Do you have a wort chiller? You could use the pump after cooling your wort down to about 100 degrees to circulate ice water to get to pitching temps.

That pump is not food safe, and does not have the parts to handle boiling or near boiling liquid.

I don’t think running hot wort through it is ok, that pump is not designed to work with boiling liquids.

Do you have a wort chiller? You could use the pump after cooling your wort down to about 100 degrees to circulate ice water to get to pitching temps.
Hello guys, I forgot to mention, the pump is to be used with an immersion chiller, so my question is more related to after the first round of water, water is going to come back heated to the bucket, is the pump going to support that? os is there any steps I need to do before running cold water through the chiller? Any suggestions you can provide is appreciated.

Regards

...the pump is to be used with an immersion chiller...water is going to come back heated to the bucket, is the pump going to support that? ....steps I need to do before running cold water through the chiller?...

My guess is you'll be OK with the heat aspect, since the hot water returning from the immersion chiller will be buffered by the cooler water in the bucket.

Assuming you are doing a 5gal batch, start cooling with a 5gal bucket of water. In cold months I leave my water outside the night before to cool it, but that probably won't help much in your location. Have a thermometer in both your kettle and the water bucket, when they equalize the water has no more cooling capacity. Switch to pumping from a container that has 5gal of water and 20lb of ice (smaller pieces are better than large chunks).

I doubt that pump has much ability to lift water, so you'll probably need to have your kettle and water containers at similar heights.

Back