Wort chiller immersion build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjham9985

Reaction score
So I'm about to solder my hose fittings onto my built immersion chiller, but I'm wondering if it matters which end to have water flowing in: the pipe that goes straight to the bottom and works up or the pipe that flows down the turns and exits straight up. I would think to have it work its way down, but with my luck, I'm probably wrong. Any input would be appreciated.
Chris

Considering heat rises, my thought would be to have the cold water enter to the top coil, this would also assist in circulating the wort. -Just a thought...

thedartedash said:
Considering heat rises, my thought would be to have the cold water enter to the top coil, this would also assist in circulating the wort. -Just a thought...

+1

The liquid in the top of your kettle is the hottest, so that is where I would put the coldest water. Honestly though, I haven't seen objective data that suggests it makes a difference

If you recirculate or stir your wort while chilling, it doesn't matter. I stir my wort with the chiller while chilling ... I've tried both ways (top in, top out) and see no difference. BTW, moving the wort around while chilling will save you a ton of time and water.

Back