Wort chiller / hot break question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danek

Reaction score
I've just noticed that the instructions that came with my wort chiller say "Please note: it is important to have run off the wort via a hop strainer before using a wort chiller, otherwise you will put all the proteins, coagulated during the hot break, back into solution".

I've never heard of re-chilled hot break being a problem. Is this just a ploy to encourage people to buy a hop strainer, or is there really a problem chilling unstrained wort?

I chill my wort before racking and never have a problem with hot break re-disolving into my wort to my knowledge.
I use an IC to chill with so not much break gets into my fermenter anyway. At least the wort looks clear going into my fermenter and I can see the break I leave behind and know it isn't all cold break.

Cool - that's pretty much what I thought. I assumed that if it was a big problem then more people would have mentioned it, but it's good to have that confirmed.

Back