Wort chiller - garden hose vs vinyl tubing/hose clamps for kitchen brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stein

Reaction score
I am a partial masher who wants to stop using ice baths. Would vinyl tubing + faucet adapters be OK for kitchen brewing? Otherwise I"ll have to go with the garden hose adapters and buy some garden hoses. Anybody have any negative experience with the hoses?

Thanks

I got the chiller with hose fittings and then got some adapters that fit into the 3/4 insh hose fittings and reduced it to a 3/8 insh barb. I use 3/8 in adapters for stovetop stuff and the hose for outdoor bug batch brewing. Works like a champ.

Am I reading correctly -- no copper or stainless tubing? Just using vinyl? If so, make sure you get vinyl that is heat rated up to 212*

I got the chiller with hose fittings and then got some adapters that fit into the 3/4 insh hose fittings and reduced it to a 3/8 insh barb. I use 3/8 in adapters for stovetop stuff and the hose for outdoor bug batch brewing. Works like a champ.

Do you have a link or part number for these adapters? That might be the way to go.

Am I reading correctly -- no copper or stainless tubing? Just using vinyl? If so, make sure you get vinyl that is heat rated up to 212*

No, sorry. I intend to get copper tubing, but I'm debating between getting the ones with brass garden hose fittings at the top or the ones that just have vinyl tubing attached with hose clamps.

The one that was the 3/4 inch MPT, I think was easy to find at the neighborhood hardware stores. The 3/4 inch FPT was hard to find but I think I finally found it at Lowe's. Can't remember the part nos.

Hi guys,

First post on here so I don't know whether this thread is still active. I have just bought everything I need for all grain brewing and have bought a wort chiller from the local home brew store.

I've had to buy a tap adapter (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL...SE-/221401731162?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160) which fits my kitchen tap just right and channels the water through the fitting.

However, the internal diameter of the vinyl tubing on my wort chiller is narrower than that of the tap adapter, which I think is a standard adapter for kitchen taps (usually for garden hoses).

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can adapt the wort chiller to fit the adapter? I guess I still need the vinyl tubing to be the same width at the point where it meets the copper tubing, but I think I need some wider vinyl tubing and maybe an adapter/connector to ensure the water flows freely from the tap to the copper chiller.

For the record, the vinyl tubing internal diameter is 1cm and the connector is 1.7cm.

Any advice would be appreciated, would be interested to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi - thanks for the reply - I actually resolved this another way.

In case it's useful to others - I bought a tap adapted from eBay, but to connect the vinyl tubing to this I bought a short length of hosepipe with connectors from B&Q (UK) which connects to it perfectly.

Wort chiller worked great.

Thanks for advice anyway!

Latest posts

Back