Wort Chiller for a 15 gallon megapot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimba009

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with a 15 gallon megapot 18"d x 14"h and a standard wort chiller? Do I need a bigger one for that size?:mug:

Any wort chiller will work, but the more coil you have going in deeper into the larger quantity of water, the better the heat transfer, so a bigger coil for bigger pots means faster cooling.

I use to use a 15 gal megapot with a 50 ft immersion chiller - I have since upgraded to a 20 gal Boilermaker. I could chill 10 gal of boiling wort to 70 degrees in less than 15 minutes with 50 degree water. The top of the chiller stuck out of the wort since the pot is a bit wider than most 15 gal pots. I suspect it would take another 5 to 10 minutes with a 25ft chiller. Just a guess.

Jumbo82 is correct. I have a 15 gallon pot and a 25' immersion chiller. It takes approximately 20 - 25 minutes for it to cool 5.5 gallons of finished wort from boiling to 65F. I use tap water to start and switch to recirculated ice water at about 100F.

IC.jpg

Here is my 50'X1/2" IC in my 15gallon megapot. It works pretty well. For 5 gallon batches it sticks out of the wort a bit but for 10 gallon ones it should be mostly submerged.

Mario

Nice handy work Mario. I just made a 50' 3/8" chiller last night! Hell Ya! I made mine to resemble the rib cage design on another thread in here somewhere. I didn't have anything on hand to have that bid of a radius. Is that about 11-12" in diameter?

Thanks!

It's about 11" in diameter. I shaped it inside a five gallon pail that I had.

Back