Wort challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zincter

Reaction score
A local brewery near me is conducting a wort challenge for home brewers where they will provide 5 gals of a Pilsner wort for a fee and you can do anything you want with it to make it unique or not (different yeasts, fermenter additives, etc.)

12.6*P, 40 IBU, 3.8 SRM
Any thoughts about what can be done to make it interesting?

Thanks

Last edited:
i've always wondered what cardamom would do in a beer. Boil a gallon with some cardamom, and add back to it?

Add a little Pils extract, some light candi sugar, maybe some hops, boil it again, use a Belgian yeast. Triple or golden strong ale.
^^This. No need to boil again though - there's already enough bitterness, and table sugar is much cheaper than candi sugar.

If it's a competition to see how creative you can be, seems like cheating to ask a homebrew forum :)

I honestly thought that too

I know, I’m kind of a newbie and don’t know much about what can be altered with Pilsner wort. Thanks

Drinking what i got right now, gives me another idea! Ferment it with lager yeast at 90f! add some fruit to it, and say you did it on purpose! :)

at least i've always assumed fermenting hot is why i get fruit beers once in a while?

And honestly, i've given a couple 'fruit bombs' to women, and they seem to like them. or maybe they just said that, because i'm SO good looking! :bott:

Last edited:
BIAB some dark grain? make a black lager?

You beat me to it @bracconiere :).

Since he's got the wort already, unclear how the grain would be added. Make a mini-batch with stout-characteristics and then add it to the wort?

Or maybe just some dark LME like this? http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/813654.htm

I brew a dark lager, 6# maris otter, 6# munich, 7 oz choc wheat, 6 oz choc malt, 8 oz crystal 20L, a little carapils. That LME is not the same, but it's not going to be bad, either. The dark malt proportion in it isn't far from mine.

You beat me to it @bracconiere :).

Since he's got the wort already, unclear how the grain would be added. Make a mini-batch with stout-characteristics and then add it to the wort?

Or maybe just some dark LME like this? http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/813654.htm

I brew a dark lager, 6# maris otter, 6# munich, 7 oz choc wheat, 6 oz choc malt, 8 oz crystal 20L, a little carapils. That LME is not the same, but it's not going to be bad, either. The dark malt proportion in it isn't far from mine.

That's why i said brew in a bag. put all this "7 oz choc wheat, 6 oz choc malt, 8 oz crystal 20L, a little carapils." in a grain bag, dump the wort in a pot, bring it up to 150f, like doing a extract batch with steeping grains right? i've never done extract, (except my first batch, which was a mr beer), but i think that's the way they do it?

P.S. i was so impressed with myself for the cardamom idea, :), that i ordered 1lb of cardamom pods and am going to try it myself in a all pale malt beer....

If it's a competition to see how creative you can be, seems like cheating to ask a homebrew forum :)

Wouldn’t that also mean taking a recipe you found online or in a magazine and entering it into a comp is cheating?

To the OP, keep in mind that you’re going to have 5 gal of whatever you decide to do so make it something you’re going to enjoy too.

Latest posts

Back