Wort at 90F even after CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valicious

Reaction score
I'm running my wort through my CFC and using the coldest water that will come out of my sink, yet I'm still getting a fermenter of 90F wort. What should I do?

One idea I had was to get a submersible pump and have it sitting in an ice bath. I'd hook the CFC up to the pump and just have it push the ice water through the CFC.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3163k24/=5xlpa0

I was looking at those, but I'm not sure which one I should get.

What is your groundwater temp?

Are you pumping through your CFC or gravity transferring?

Are you able to reduce the flow of your wort or increase the flow of water?

Currently, my groundwater in CO is 43F. I pump my wort from my kettle to my fermenter with no restriction. I do control the volume of water through the CFC.

My last brew day I was able to transfer 5.5 gallons of wort from boil to 68 F in 8 minutes and only used 9 gallons of cooling water.

The ways for you to lower your temps to fermenter are to slow the wort flow or lower the water temp (pre-chiller).

I use a cheapo Harbor Freight pump for ice water recirc'ing... The free ice machine at work helps out on that front, but I can gravity feed 11 gallons through the CFC and pitch into 70* temps in 15-20 minutes...

you could also recirculate through the cfc and back in to the kettle for a few minutes to lower the overall temp of the wort in the kettle and then go from kettle to cfc to primary.

Check the way your cooling water hoses are connected to the CFC. The one time I had this problem with high exit temps, even though my ground water was at 50 F (Minnesota...) I found I had the cooling water hoses crossed up and the cold water was entering the exit of the CFC. Make sure your cold water is connected to the end of the chiller that the wort is exiting.

Yes, it's very important that the coolant enters at the wort exit. That's the counterflow aspect of it. These chillers should get your output to within 2-5F of your coolant temp. Maybe your tap water is 85F? If so, yes, pumping icewater works well.

Back