Wort and travel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonPascal

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know if I could brew the wort and then put it in a bucket and travel with it so it can be fermented somewhere else than the place where it was made.

We would like to start the brewing this week of our beer and we have a schedule conflict. We have the time to make it but not if Simon need to go to Pascal's house and vice versa.

Can it be travelled and kept out for a day or should I start the brewing right away?

Sure, you can travel. Xiang brewed at my house, and hauled his fermenter home, about 500 miles or so I'm guessing. He didn't mention how he liked the beer, but that could be the fault of the recipe maker (me), not the travel! He pitched the yeast after brewing, as we all did, and then went home the next day. I assume he kept the fermenter in the car with him at a reasonable temperature, of course.

So I can make the wort, and the sparge mix them with the hops and all and bring it to the final fermentation place later? Can it wait a day if scealed right ?

I'd make sure that -- in case the fermentation kicks up -- the CO2 has somewhere to go so you don't get an explosion. Also, temperature matters. I would think that agitation (shaking) is not a big deal in transporting wort/new beer.

Transporting fermented wort/beer without a protective CO2 "blanket" is probably a bad idea, though (oxidation).

That's why I would wait to put the yeast in there ... but we decided to postpone the brew.

Well, it doesn't matter since you've decided to postpone, but I'm surprised that you would wait to pitch the yeast. I can't think why you'd wait to pitch yeast? To me, chilling the wort after the boil and pitching the yeast ASAP are integral parts of the brewing. I guess I'm wondering on why you would wait?

transporting before pitching would bring your beer down to room temperature and it would be come vulnerable. Pitching and then transporting would probably include some shaking of the wort with the yeast which i read is bad, you want the yeast to work without your assistance( not sure why- just relaying info) i know you postponed the brew but can anyone add their .02

Actually if you can bring the wort down to 1 to 4°c (sorry I'm in metric land) as fast as possible you stof the devellopement of any bacteria. So this condition met you just have to bring it back to what you need and bam you continue the brew with fermentation with no arm... but doing that would be hard.

Back