wort amount for vitality starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkinThailand

Reaction score
So I am having trouble finding this info, tried searching but no luck.

I have started to make vitality starters, but am unsure how to figure out how much wort to use. In his post Brulosopher used 500 ml, but that was for only 1 vial or 100 billion cells. I use yeast slurry, so sometimes use more than that.

Does it have to always be a ratio of 500 ml to 100 billion cells? That would be a lot of wort for bigger beers/lagers. Can it ever be less than that?

I assume it can be more or less. All you are doing is getting the yeast into suspension and "waking them up" Your main goal is aeration with vitality starters.

Also if you use plan to save some for propagation then say 50-100 ml is put in the fridge for later use. This depends on volume of starter.

If you're making a vitality starter rather than a cell-building starter, then you'll want to use enough slurry so that you already have enough yeast cells. For example, you might want to create a vitality starter for some 7 week old slurry that's going into a 5 gallon, 1.050 batch (200B cells required). Estimating at about 1B cells/ml, you'll want 200 ml slurry in your 500 ml starter.

Back