wort aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramman

Reaction score
im wondering if i didn't aerate my wort enough . i did a partial boil and since i used tap water i boiled tap water (didn't aerate) and then of course didn't aerate the wort. some karusen has formed but no air lock action almost 48 hours later. would it hurt to try and aerate it now?

Do not aerate it now, your probably fermenting just fine, I am guessing your using a bucket or something that is not air tight, thats why no air lock activity.

i would not aerate your wort now.

you'll have a longer lag and ultimately a longer fermentation time, but as long as its not a huge beer, it should be fine. just let it sit.

it has a krausen but no airlock activity? do you have a leak? it sounds like fermentation has started...you should be getting some bubbles.

ok thanks, i dont have any leaks that i know of. i pushed as hard as i can on the lid and i pushed the air lock in a little further so hopefully ill see some activity. and yes im using a bucket. i wanna try to get some of thoes better bottles im too curious.

gas under pressure takes the path of least resistence to escape. so even a pin hole is less resistence than the inch of water in the airlock.

if you have krausen, you're either in active fermentation, or damn close. don't worry about airlock bubbles too terribly much. they are handy, but flawed. a completely fermented beer can still make the airlock bubble. an unfinished beer may not bubble the airlock.

but looking at the beer, and testign after a week with a hydrometer...those are reliable means of knowing what's happening.

Latest posts

Back