Worst Brewing Injury

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
Not sure if this off topic for this particular forum, but I was curious what was everyones worst brewing injury?

Myself would be a couple years ago. I was bending over and backing up to pick up a full carboy and my plumbers crack hit my freshly used propane burner.

Resulted in a neat little scar

Fortunately, I have yet to recieve any physical scars from my endeavors.

Got scalded once trying to hoist a nearly full cooler mash tun to a higher tier. The lid was poorly seated.

Beyond that, my wallet is nearly pulverized.

Dropped a full carboy in my kitchen once. I was picking glass out of the bottom of my feet for at least a week. :(

Ask me in 10 years. Or better, yet...Ask my liver. :cross:

16.9 ounces of 5% beer = 14 grams of alcohol
4 pints (60 grams)/day = fatty liver
6 pints (80 grams)/day = alcoholic hepatitis
11 pints (160 grams)/day = cirrhosis

Horrors-Cirrhosis-lg.jpg

I climbed inside my kettle with the lid on to make sure I wasn't getting DMS, and I died. Also, Wyeast strain 3426, Forbidden Fruit, once turned me into a newt.

I got betta.

Large contusion to left buttock from falling down basement stairs taking a blow off container of water down. Perferectly sober BTW.

Beats my other hobby. 4 broken bones in the last 5 years. (motocross racing)

My pride was seriously wounded a couple years ago when I melted a hole in my MLT with an improperly places heatstick.

I grabbed the bottom ring of a keggle to dump the hop sludge. I thought the keggle was cooled down, but I was very wrong because I didn't realize I left the burner on low while I was draining through my cfc. Resulted in second degree burns on all 3 pads of all 4 fingers on one hand.

It took a few months to heal, but now my hand is as good as new and I can't even tell where it was burned.

I grabbed the bottom ring of a keggle to dump the hop sludge. I thought the keggle was cooled down, but I was very wrong because I didn't realize I left the burner on low while I was draining through my cfc. Resulted in second degree burns on all 3 pads of all 4 fingers on one hand.

It took a few months to heal, but now my hand is as good as new and I can't even tell where it was burned.

Oh, yeah, I forgot- I did that too. At the SEWAGE brew in February I was helping Short Drive lift a keggle and like the ******* that I am I grabbed it on the bottom. I could hear my fingers sizzle like a steak on a grill. I'm healed up nicely, too, thanks.

Myself would be a couple years ago. I was bending over and backing up to pick up a full carboy and my plumbers crack hit my freshly used propane burner.

I would like to see that scar.....umm no, not really!

Also, Wyeast strain 3426, Forbidden Fruit, once turned me into a newt.

I see you got better!

Not sure if this off topic for this particular forum, but I was curious what was everyones worst brewing injury?

Resulted in a neat little scar

Try explaining that one in the emergency room.

The injury I have isn't mine, but I think its worth mentioning.

Several years ago we were brewing our first batch with a Mr. Beer kit and heating the water with one of those plug in water heater pitchers that are used for tea and coffee. My buddy was getting ready to pour the hot water when the bottom broke and fell out spilling boiling water all over his foot. He had second degree burns on his right foot and had to walk on crutches for a month :-(

Gotcha all beat.Torn rotator cuff in shoulder from lifting full brewing kettle onto kitchen counter.Had surgery to repair it on 3-20.Currently on short term disability for 6months!!P.T. is total agony on this.

Gotcha all beat.Torn rotator cuff in shoulder from lifting full brewing kettle onto kitchen counter.Had surgery to repair it on 3-20.Currently on short term disability for 6months!!P.T. is total agony on this.

But how did the beer turn out? ;)

I was capping bottles with a bench top capper and a bottle exploded in my hand gashing my ring finger almost to the bone. I now wear leather gloves when bottling.

I was opening a bottle that I had stashed some yeast in, and when I popped the top it blew the top ring right off of the bottle and into my finger. I was also brewing one-handed for a while.

I was capping bottles with a bench top capper and a bottle exploded in my hand gashing my ring finger almost to the bone. I now wear leather gloves when bottling.

I've got some nice burns on my arms and legs, had glass in my foot once, stabbed myself with a jagged metal piece in my hand moving equipment, sprayed hot wort on my feet (nothing permanent), knocked my shins a few times, and my pecker fell into boiling wort once.

OK, that last one wasn't true, but I have brewed naked before :p

But #1 is my back. I was originally injured at werk, but I **** it up all the time brewing :(

You need to "re-up" your coordination with some video games. And keep lots sanitizer around, for both your equipment, and your open wounds. Glad to hear that you did not put your pecker in boiling wort.

Pecker Stout, or a stout pecker?

I've got some nice burns on my arms and legs, had glass in my foot once, stabbed myself with a jagged metal piece in my hand moving equipment, sprayed hot wort on my feet (nothing permanent), knocked my shins a few times, and my pecker fell into boiling wort once.

OK, that last one wasn't true, but I have brewed naked before :p

But #1 is my back. I was originally injured at werk, but I **** it up all the time brewing :(

no physical injuries yet, although i burned the back of my counter top pretty bad...wife wasn't too happy about that

Nothing that sent me to the emergency room. I did figure out that 150*F mash is WAY too hot to stick you hand in though. No burns, just a lot of jumping around and cursing.

I am now worried about lifting a heavy ass brew kettle full of hot wort into my counter to chill it.

This made me change the way I handle the kettle from now on.Between the time I injured my shoulder and the surgery I brewed 2 batches to hold me over.Now I take the 1st runnings & kettle(w/SWMBO helping) to the burner and drain the rest into another pot & transfer to main kettle.After the boil SWMBO helps me bring it in and we set it on a chair beside the sink instead of up on the counter--much easier.The wort chiller hoses are long enough to reach.I just have to get used to asking for help--I like to do everything myself.

I've grabed the bottom of a keggle before as well, burned but didn't go to the hospital or anything. I also have screwed up my back before so I rebuilt my system to a 1 teir, all electric, pump etc with water plumbed in right over the HLT. I just need to solve lifting the fermenter into the freezer and I have a lift-free brew day.

Back