Worst Brew Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillPall

Reaction score
Just had my worst brewing experience. The beer gods were not shining on my brewing tonight.

First off, got a new thermometer and for some reason didn't realize I was looking at Celsius rather than Fahrenheit until I was done steeping my grains. Steeped at about 120F rather than 150F not too bad, but whatever. Ended up only putting half of the bittering and flavor hops than I should have, again only noticed after it was way too late. Apparently my process was a little faster than I'm used to so I didn't boil off enough water, and when doing my late extract addition a boilover occured. First boilover I've ever had; I'm not even going to scrub the stove down right now. I just don't feel like it.

After I thought all my brewing nightmares were over I realized I completely forgot to grab some ice before I started so I never got a good cold break. It's now an hour after pouring the wort into the carboy and it's still sitting at about 85F.

My first class starts in about 8 hours so I don't even know if I'm going to be ready to pitch tonight. To top it all off, this is the most expensive brew I've ever attempted (first true IPA). Just felt like ranting and thought maybe others on here could relate. Maybe it will be okay. Right now I'm not too confident. :(

If you were looking at C thinking it was F, wouldn't you have been steeping at about 300F instead of 150F? Which would obviously be boiling.

If you were looking at C thinking it was F, wouldn't you have been steeping at about 300F instead of 150F? Which would obviously be boiling.

Ha, nah. I actually saw the 100 mark on the Fahrenheit and then glanced at the 55 above it, which turned out to be plain old 55C. I think I probably should have waited to start drinking until after I started brewing, but it's also been a long day. Definitely ashamed of my thermometer reading skills. Maybe I should have failed high school, haha.

Sounds like it will be just fine then. Less bitter, but I'm sure it will be fine.

That sucks man..we've all been there. ;) Do yourself a favor, and clean the stove off right now though. Tomorrow it's going to be 10x the mess to clean up.

Back