Worst brew day yet...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessWinter77

Reaction score
Second all grain and made a 10 gallon batch of Bison Brewing Honey Basil Ale.

All went pretty well until I filled the fermentors. (although I forgot to put my wort chiller in for the last 15 min to sanitize)

I could not find any stainless scour pads to put on the dip tube in my keggle (WTF Fred Meyer?) So I [thought] I had the ingenious idea of putting a stainless mesh tea ball mounted on the dip tube with a hose clamp....

The basil and pellet hops I used immediately caused the tea ball to fully clog. My stir spoon would not keep the gunk off enough to drain so I attempted to sanitize my hand/arm by washing and wiping with rubbing alcohol stuck my arm in the keggle and rubbed the tea ball enough with my fingers to drain.

it clogged at the end and left about 1 gal of wort in the keggle so I grabbed an unsanitized mesh bag and strained the rest into the 2nd fermentor with a funnel.... but it spilled all over the top of the fermenter bucket..

Then, when im aerating the fermentors with the end of the stir spoon it snaps off and the handle falls into a carboy (I used one bucket and one carboy)... where it will remain until I transfer to 2ndary.

Hoping neither of the fermentors is contaminated!:eek:

Live and learn; scrap tea ball idea, continue to use mesh bags for additions, buy new spoon.

I've reached into a kettle full of cooled wort to unclog a dip tube before. I washed up, hit my arm from fingertips to elbow with sanitizer, and dove in.

The beer turned out fine.

Back