Worst Brew Day Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlcek11

Reaction score
So brewed sunday, made a mint chocolate stout for the holidays. Everything was going perfectly, the aroma was amazing, color was perfect, I was hitting my numbers. When I was chilling I heard the worst noise ever. The hose had come loose from the copper coil and sprayed an amount of water that I am not even sure of. So I am definitely think thinking that at the time of this happening that my temp was below 150 so I am worried about contamination obviously. Also worried about how much water got in to dilute my beer.
So I go to take a measurement, and dropped my hydrometer. The Brew Gods were not in my favor... or too much home brew, either way worst brew day ever! Today is tuesday and I have very active fermentation, so much that i have the siphon tube hooked up for the excess Krausen, so I guess this excites me a little thinking maybe I still have healthy yeast?. But what is everyone thinking about this? Im picking up a new hydrometer but all that will tell me is if is fermented. I will never know what the OG really was. I do know that it was supposed to bearound 1.045 so it wasn't going to be very strong anyway. I will say that I tasted the sample and it tasted very good so I hope that is a good indicator.

Bah, that's not so bad. Relax and wait it out.

I had the same thing happen with my immersion chiller. The hose clamp busted and sprayed a bunch of water into the mostly-chilled wort. Everything came out fine, and the effect of extra water dilution was hardly noticeable.

Just because you do something that opens you up to the possibility of an infection doesn't mean you'll get one. Just that the chances are slightly higher. If your water is so contaminated that a little bit of unboiled H20 immediately ruins everything then it wouldn't be safe to drink in the first place.

As for the broken hydrometer - join the club.

I've had that happen as well, but I caught it very quickly. Typically, if it's just a little water then relax about it and keep going. If you were away or something and it dumped a decent amount of water in just bring it back to a boil and boil off the excess.

Rev.

I'm waiting for the day that this happens beings that I used compression fittings to extend the copper on two of my four runs of tube (threw a pre-chiller I wasn't using in to sit inside of the immersion chiller).

Just to add to my last post, it happened to me because I was using the chiller to stir the wort and hadn't noticed the worm clamps loosening over all those brews. Since tightening them I now just use a sanitized spoon to circulate the wort to aid in chilling faster. Should've done that all along, but it does help to check every once in a while to be sure the clamps are still tight. Been thinking of just switching to Oetiker clamps, just have to get around to remembering to order the size for it some day. Always seem to forget lol.

Rev.

I had this happen to me once... And a good amount of hose water got in. It was my one and only infected batch. Id still wait it out though

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

wait it out, its a done deal..what do you have to lose and I agree youd have to have some really crap water to infect it with in most cases. People often add water straight from the tap to top off to 5 gallons. i dont reccomend it generally but you should be fine.

If the water was city water it is pretty sanitary. How much went into the fermenter. If you did not end up with too much it is likely the beer is not too diluted.

You have good fermentation, that should overpower the nasties.

I bet you are good to go.

I read about Oetiker clamps a while back and what a PITA they were... IDK because I have never used them.

I use Oetiker clamps on things that very rarely need to come apart, such as the tail pieces on MFL gas lines. And yes, those lines can be taken apart on the MFL couplings if they need cleaning, which is way easier.

Every time I try a new beer for the first time I have no idea what the OG was. But I know if it's good or not. Remember, thats all that matters, you made it and if it's good it's good. If it's no good, lesson learned, make more!

I actually had a similar experience today. No chiller issues, but when I was about to take the SG of my batch the hydrometer broke. No idea how, it was fine yesterday. I lifted it out of the tube and it fell on the counter into a million pieces. Had to scrap the sample, the irish moss I measured out, and a few hop bags being paranoid about the glass shards. Later, went to clean up and my brand new PBW somehow got moisture in it and was like dough. A 5 oz chunk thunked onto the floor trying to remove it, what a mess. Not my worst brewday, and not as bad as yours, but it happens.

Maybe if you have notes on your efficiency you can make an educated guess at your OG? Mine is typically about 80% on this beer, so I am assuming I will have anywhere between 72 and 82, and an ABV of 4.3 to 5.8.

If there is one thing I have learned, it is that it is very hard to screw up beer. I think you will be ok.

Not for nothing, but buy yourself a spare hydrometer while you are at it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I found a leak in my IC on a batch last year, after chilling was done, and it turned out to be one of my better batches. I have no idea how much water got in.
Since it's not uncommon to add water after the boil to adjust volume/SG, if your water is good it'll be fine.

Back