Worst brew day ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triskelion

Reaction score
So I decided that I would get better mash efficiency with a thicker mash. problem is that there's a space of about 3L under my false bottom, making a thick mash impossible for the small biab batch that I was brewing. The solution, on someones recommendation, (you know who you are) was to remove the false bottom that protects the brew bag from the element, giving me all the space I need. After all the wort will conduct the heat from the element and distribute it evenly and mash temperatures aren't enough to melt a brew bag anyway. I think you can see where this is going. Half way through my 40oC acid rest the keggle was full of grain! I had to siphon the contents out, clean out the keggle, clean the caramelised element, take the pump apart, as it was blocked with grain, put the grain into my biggest hop bag, put the false bottom in and continue where I left of an hour before. I got there in the end and I have an 88% efficiency with only 34% base malt, so it's not all bad. I hope no one else makes this silly mistake.

20130816_200348.jpg

Back