Worst...brew day...ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naga77777

Reaction score
So i decided i needed to brew today, since i only have one tap going, and i get the feeling that the keg will be kicked very soon.

Had an American Ale in primary; today makes 2 weeks on the dot.

Decided to make the American Honey Porter kit that i had in the fridge. Came up with the name "Cat Scat Brewery" for my brew space, since i brew in the mud room, where, incidentally, the cat litter box resides.

Dropped the little piece of wire that i hang my brewing thermometer on, RIGHT into the cat litter box. Had to immediately stop what i was doing and put the name of my "brewery" on the chalkboard, along with what's on tap.

Decided i was gonna rack the American Ale to the keg, since i needed a primary for the batch i was cooking today. I also contemplated using a better bottle to primary in, so i could top-crop some yeast--something ive never done before, but i wanted to try.

So racking the american ale to keg proved to be a pain. I have had an oxidation problem (or so ive been told that was the off flavor) with all my malt-forward beers. I decided to be smart and put a worm clamp on my autosiphon tubing to eliminate all those bubbles during racking. WRONG. I attacched the worm clamp and got WAY more bubbles, even a steady jacket of air around the beer coming from the cane. Fack!!

Finally did away with that, and went back to tend to the concurrent boil while racking. Look to the kitchen from the mudroom, and see beer all over the floor. apparently, I had much more than 5 gallons in the primary. I stop the siphon, and put the lid on the Keg. The lid was not sanitized. I decided to put the keg in the mud room sink, and tilted to dump out some of the beer so It would not creep up into my gas line.

finally got the keg in the fridge, purged of oxygen, seated the lid, and set it to serving pressure.

finished my boil, and put the pot into the ice bath to cool. decided to harvest some yeast, instead of using the bucket primary. needed to cut a hole in a rubber carboy cap, to be placed on the 2 liter flask to collect the yeast.

proceeded to cut the living s*** out of my finger, and had to stop and bandage it up after bleeding all over the mudroom.

after getting bandaged up, I went to go to finish chilling my pot in the ice bath. after cooling, I decided to pour the wort into the 5 gallon better bottle, in hopes of harvesting some yeast.

turns out, even putting 4 and a half gallons of wort into a 5 gallon better bottle proves to be problematic. Foam went all over the mud room floor, after coming out of the top of the better bottle.

finally got everything put together, and everything into the fermentation chamber and went to have a beer. Spilt beer all over the coffee table.

Forgot the Honey in my "American honey porter."

I need to go to bed.

2013-02-26_18-25-39_546.jpg

2013-02-26_18-25-47_222.jpg

Sorry to hear that, sounds crappy and kind of painful. But I'm sure you could entice some worse stories from folks on here that could make you feel better.

I got 20 stitches in 2 fingers along with nerve and artery damage on one of my first brew days. Learn from your mistakes and keep moving. The lesson here is no knives on brew day if you are drinking. And lets be honest, what's brew day without drinking. I learned no glass containers on brew day. It'll get better....keep moving forward.

Haha, yeah. Appreciate it everybody.

Most definitely drinking-- following that unwritten rule ;)

Will definitely keep moving forward. Probably should have had enough sense to not screw around with a razor knife while drinking.

Edit: cant entirely blame the beer, as i was pretty dang sober up until i cut my finger. That called for a shot, plus an increased rate of consumption on the milk stout i was drinking.

Back