Worst bottling experience ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liesea

Reaction score
I am soo glad i can finally sit back relax and have a homebrew after todays attempt at bottling my irish blonde. It started out with my bottling bucket leaking so i quick transferred it to another bottling bucket, which also leaked:mad:. my only choice was to transfer it to a five gallon bucket that didnt have a spigot and without a autosiphon i had to pour the beer (as carefully as possible) into my repaired bottling bucket. In all i lost nearly a gallon of precious home brew. My question is how quickly will my beer oxidize because there is no doubt it a lot of oxygen got mixed in. If i drink it within a couple weeks will my beer still taste decent?

Well, I had a couple.

First, I was bottling my first mead. The spigot wasn't tight enough and my precious mead was leaking a bit. I finished the schedule without much loss.

Next comes a nice 80 Schilling Scottish Ale. I put the spigot on but forgot to close it. I went downstairs for about 5 minutes to do some other stuff, only to come back up and find beer all over the floor. Needless to say, the entire batch was gone. I cleaned it all up (under the fridge, stove, etc) before the wife got home.

Back