Worried this may be infected. Any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greeko

Reaction score
I'm in day 6 of fermentation and this is what I have. Does this look infected to anyone? It doesn't smell bad.

Attachments

• IMG_20201023_132207.jpg
    IMG_20201023_132207.jpg
    956.9 KB · Views: 133
Nope, sorry, looks like good beer. Now you've got to drink it. ;)

Have you taken a hydrometer reading while you had the lid off? It's pretty clear already, it may be ready to bottle.

Nope, sorry, looks like good beer. Now you've got to drink it. ;)

Have you taken a hydrometer reading while you had the lid off? It's pretty clear already, it may be ready to bottle.
My hydrometer broke so I'm gonna transfer it to a carboy for another week before bottling

if you're real curious, you can get/make a gasket and use some clear plastic or glass as a lid.

until then, keep your mitts off it and keep the lid on until you're ready to bottle or keg! :mug:

Since this is your first batch, what looks odd to you so we can explain why it’s normal?

I know it's your first batch and you're in a hurry to get it finished, but treat yourself to your favorite six pack and wait. 6 days is enough time for fermentation to finish, that is the time for the yeast to eat most of the available sugar, but you should allow more time for the beer to condition. Conditioning is when the yeast clean up off flavors to make better tasting beer. Leave it in the primary and do not open the lid until 2 days before you plan to bottle. Then grab a hydrometer reading and cover it back up. Take another hydrometer reading on bottling day and if there is no change in gravity, bottle your beer.

BTW, your beer looks normal. Those yeast rafts may settle down given more time. Good luck!

All great advise from everyone. It's does look like normal wort fermenting away. There is plethora of info available on this site and all over the net about what is truly an infected wort but not all correct info. A great place to start would be John Palmer's How to brew. Let's face it, a lot of biological warfare going on in that murky prehistoric looking enclosed cistern. Let the yeasty beasties do their magic! Everyone has their own way of doing things but a pretty good rule of thumb is let it do it's primary job of fermenting for 10-14 days then another 2 weeks to condition and clean up. Every time you open the lid you are shooting craps with your wort, giving unwanted bacteria and yeast an opportunity to crash the party. Don't get me wrong, as long as a good fermentation is in progress, there should be a nice blanket of CO2 covering the wort and quick forays inside, like maybe 15 seconds to steal a sample, is generally ok but I wouldn't do it more than once after the 10 day primary to check that gravity is heading in the right direction. Again, everyone has their own way of doing things and some would say yes to this, some would say no. As you become more and more experienced with your brewing journey , you will find a way of doing things that work best for you. If I had to give you just 2 points of sound advise and nothing else. #1 SANITATION SANITATION SANITATION. #2 Good water! Very important and a lot of brewers don't put a lot of thought into their water, especially when just starting out. And lastly...SANITATION SANITATION SANITATION. I'm not a severe clean freak...well not to the point of obsession..about most thing...maybe a little...but when it's comes to brewing equipment I'm down right back six retentive!! Maybe it comes from having been a nurse and medic for most of my life, but I gown on a germ warfare rage when it comes to my equipment..that's just me. Anyway just leave it alone for a couple of weeks I'm sure your wort is fine! And welcome to the forum!!! And if you have years and years of experience and are already a homebrew master...forget everything I just said!! 😂 Good luck!

I remember when I started two yrs ago I was always paranoid about infections. As you go you will get experience of what is normal. There are a lot of weird things with yeast that are normal. This is one. Good luck!

Back