Worried about yet another stalled fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cas3606

Reaction score
Okay so a little bit of background.

A few months ago I made the switch over to BIAB as well as the switch to trying to use more liquid yeast for variety. One of my first beers was a blonde ale where I decanted my yeast starter. This beer has a very weird fermentation with little to no Krausen and then stalled around 1.020 no matter what I did.

Fast forward to now.

This weekend I brewed a pumpkin spice ale that I had made in an extract format previously. I also included 6lbs of pumpkin in my mash. I ended with a FG of 1.058. I pitched a decanted starter of Wyeast London Ale III at 66 degrees farenheight. This beer had an active blowoff as I was expecting a large Krausen. However, this beer hardly krausened whatsoever. He activity seems to have stalled and it has been at 1.024 for 24 hours now. It has also been 5 days since I pitched. Should I just allow it more time to ferment and finish up?

Sorry if I am overreacting, that last beer was such a disaster that I dumped the rest and really hope that the same thing isn’t happening with this one.

Possibly not "stalled", but rather "finished".

Fermentability:
Mash temp? Is your thermometer calibrated? Do you apply heat during the mash? How long do you mash? Do you adjust and measure mash pH? Do you mash out?

Standard yeast stuff:
Are you making starters for the liquid yeast using DME? Considered adding yeast nutrient? Controlled fermentation temperature?
Tried swirling the fermenter to resuspend yeast and increasing the temperature?

Sorry you're having difficulty. My beers' FGs were high too until I learned to control the mash temp.

Calibrate your thermometer. Hit your strike temp. Dough in. Leave it sit, as insulated as reasonable. Measure pH and temp at 20-30 mins. Hour mash is standard.

Back