Worried about yeast starter contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_n_jazz

Reaction score
So I finally decided to try my first yeast starter for a double IPA I wanna brew in a few days. Everything went really smoothly until I was pouring the cooled wort into the mini fermenter. As I poured it started running down the side of the pot as it went into the funnel... the same pot that was just submerged in water in my (i'm assuming) bacteria ridden kitchen sink... It was already too late to do anything so I just went with it, aerated it really well, and pitched my yeast.

My question is what are the odds this is gonna go to s**t and how will I know? What should I look for to decide whether or not I can still use the starter? I spent a boat load on hops for this brew so I don't wanna risk ruining it with a bad starter...

Also if it makes any difference I threw some hop pellets in while I boiled it; I read that can help inhibit some bacterial growth.

Thanks!

When it's finished if it smells like fresh yeast use it , if it smells off use another yeast, just the reason to keep some dry yeast on hand. What I do when boiling starter in a small kettle is dry it off and then swab it with alcohol all the way down including the radius at the bottom.

Well the good news is the yeast got going real fast. I noticed the krausen beginning to form and CO2 coming out within a couple hours. Should I keep shaking it even now that it's actively fermenting?

Also good idea about keeping some dry yeast around, definitely gonna pick some up just in case

Back