Worried about my Schwarzbier... I pitched the whole starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stein

Reaction score
My first lager is a Schwarzbier recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I went for the more Pilsner'ish one.

Anyway, the yeast in my 1.4 liter starter simply wouldn't come out of suspension, even after about 12 hours in the fridge and a couple hours in the freezer. I still had a lot of yeast in suspension, so I didn't want to pour it down the drain. I used two vials of WLP 830 German Lager yeast and I did use a stir plate. The smell of the starter was kind of fruity, almost like a hefeweizen, but it didn't smell bad. I pitched the whole amount in.

What are the chances that I will affect the flavor of the finished product? I'm worried about off flavors, especially since this will be a clean schwarzbier.

As you have discovered, it takes at least a full 24 to get the starter to separate completely. I've had it take longer, too. The colder you get it, the faster the yeast falls out.

How do you get the resulting yeast sludge fully out of the container? It seems to me if you let the yeast settle out, then pour off the excess liquid you end up with a thick mixture that doesn't want to flow well. :confused:

How do you get the resulting yeast sludge fully out of the container? It seems to me if you let the yeast settle out, then pour off the excess liquid you end up with a thick mixture that doesn't want to flow well. :confused:

you leave enough to swish it around and then pour

I pour out everything but the solids. Then I transfer some of my cooled wort from my boil kettle to the flask. Swish, then into the carboy.

I use a pump, so it's pretty easy for me.

You'll probably be fine. Give it a good lagering afterwards and I think your yeast will get rid of some of its byproducts anyways.

I used Wyeast 2206 for a Schwarzbier that had a similar smell as a starter but that did not follow through in the final product.

Good to hear, joe. Thanks. I hope the yeast clean up after themselves very well with this batch.

It's been bubbling along nicely for 4 days now. Still 2 bubbles per second. I guess I'm one of those rare people who get airlock activity (lol).

Since the starter (ideally) is all about cell growth, it will smell different than the fermentation stage.

Back