Worried about my hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokamantratarius

Reaction score
I brewed my first hefe saturday night. The recipe came from my LHBS.

7 pounds Briess wheat-barley malt extract
1 pound Gambrius Honey malt 25L
1oz Hallertauer-60min boil
Wyeast #3068 Wheinstephen Wheat

The owner of the HBS told me that I could ferment it a little higher and get some fruity banana flavors. I fermented it between 74-77, it seems to me that I got a bit more banana flavor then I was expecting. The ferment went real well, 1.047OG, 1.012SG. I was at the hbs yesterday and I was told by the owner's wife that the banana flavor would die down a bit as it ages.

This is the first time I have been disappointed by one of my brews. It is only my 5th batch. I think that it has definate possibilities to become a good beer, I think with a hint of the fruity flavor it would be great, but I am really worried that the banana flavor won't die down, it is pretty over powering. Has anyone else fermented at higher temps on purpose? If if so did you get the same effect? Did the off flavors simmer down after time?

Well, the temp was definitely too high. Try to keep it around 72F.

Is it sweet banana or a bitter (from the hops) banana?

If it's bitter the bitterness will subside in about 3 months. Unfortunately, if it's a sweet banana it may get sweeter.

Do a search on hop teas.

If anything, the banana flavor in my hefe just got stronger. After 3 months, mine is stronger than 3 weeks after bottling. I started pouring mine (bottled) in a pitcher prior to serving and adding a small dose of hop oil to offset the sweetness.

It is a sweet banana damn it. The overpowering only occures at the begning. It goes sweet banana, a nice hefe tang, slight malty taste, and leaves a tangy flavor after it's gone down.

So overall it was ok...not what I was expecting. I was writing the topic post as I was drinking it out of the vial. My friend said it could definatly turn into somthing good. As I was finishing the vial I thought it wasn't TOO bad....not as good as my last 3 (my first was...well my first) but right after I finished the last sip out of the vial I thought....hmmmm wish I had a litte more to drink just to make sure.

I am still worried and a little bummed, but is there hope? I don't have time to look anything up, I need to go vege-out on the couch pronto, but what exactly do hop teas do?

My heffe is still purring away between 68-72F with the WLP300... damn it smells good

The Pol said:
My heffe is still purring away between 68-72F with the WLP300... damn it smells good

Pol,
My heffe is doing the same. Cannot wait to get her bottled and try her out!!!!

homebrewer_99 said:
Dry hops is not the answer for your brew. DH do not add bitterness.

A hop tea may help, but if you still drink BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) you can mix a little of these in to help balance your brew a bit.

bud, miller, coors...HOW DARE YOU! :p I will check out a hop tea. I have a number of hop varieties in my freezer at the moment.

1.5oz Sterling
.5oz Crystal
.5oz Hersbrucker
1oz Northern Brewer

I am thinking either the crystal or maybe the Northern Brewer I could do a .5oz bittering and .5oz for flavor. What say you?

Kokamantratarius said:
bud, miller, coors...HOW DARE YOU! :p I will check out a hop tea. I have a number of hop varieties in my freezer at the moment.

1.5oz Sterling
.5oz Crystal
.5oz Hersbrucker
1oz Northern Brewer

I am thinking either the crystal or maybe the Northern Brewer I could do a .5oz bittering and .5oz for flavor. What say you?

With those choices I would use the Hersbrucker in 1/2 gal of water for 60 mins.

You want to make sure you have enough water to add to your brew. The bittering flavor will be concentrated so add it a little at a time.

Sorry about the BMC reference...:D

Cool I will try the Hersbrucker then. About how much water should I use? I am going to the hefe another taste while the hops brew.

Ok I think you are definatly right about using the Hersbrucker...just gave them another smell and I forgot how great they smell, I think it would actually go really really well with how it is tasting at the moment.

I would add 1 cup then slowly stir it in and let sit for about 10 mins to blend before taking a sample to drink. If it needs more then add another cup.

If you find yourself wanting another sample then you are probably where you want it to be.

Remember, you can't make it sweeter after overhopping so if it's close then stop adding the hop tea. :D

I've used up to 3 cups of tea on a batch.

:D OK, my normal brewing practice is to boil about 1 oz of hops, 1 lb DME in 1 gal of water for 60 mins. There are more steps (adding other ingredients, but not when making a tea), but that is the basis for extracting the bitterness from the hop.

Start off with 1/2 gal of water and 1 oz of hops.

You could also double up on the hop and only boil for 30 mins. It comes out the same. Any extra tea can be placed in a jar for a later use.

Either way, you have to have enough water left over that hasn't evaporated. Whatever water that does remain will have a high concentrate of bitterness in it. Sample a small bit and you'll pucker. I know I did.:eek:

You don't want to start with too much water, say 1 gal, because you'll end up diluting (thinning out) your beer and lowering the alcohol %. That's why I say to start with a 1/2 gal. first.

You can always add water later if need be...if you have too much water then you can boil longer to let some evaporate.

Back