Worried about my first batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME_Brewski

Reaction score
My first batch has been fermenting for a little over a day now in my LBK. I am worried because I looked at it using a flashlight and there is a very heavy sediment along the bottom. Is this normal? Did I not stir enough before I put the yeast in?

Don't worry. Just don't siphon the bottom when bottling.. Look at it again in 20 days and bottle. Also be careful when moving it to bottle to not disturb the sediment.
What's a LBK?

ME_Brewski said:
My first batch has been fermenting for a little over a day now in my LBK. I am worried because I looked at it using a flashlight and there is a very heavy sediment along the bottom. Is this normal? Did I not stir enough before I put the yeast in?

I'm not familiar with LBK/Mr. Beer kits, but all that crap that settles in the fermenter will get kicked up during the fermentation and settle again when complete...no worries.

Pretty much. There's always trub at the bottom of the LBk. Put something like a CD case under the front when you start so it settles towards the back.

Alright, thanks guys, I just wasn't sure. I suppose I am just worrying about everything to much since I'm so new.

Just leave it ferment for 2 weeks. Don't listen to the Mr. Beer directions.
2 weeks in fermenter- 2 in bottle and 2 in the fridge.

Every new brewer is worried about their first batch...they think if they look at it wrong it will go bad, and everyone who drinks of it will die a horrible, miserable death, or something to that affect....that's why we're here, to assure you that you're simply following the silly path of your predecessors, and everything will be fine.

Read this from the thread Why does there appear to be so much anxiety about brewing?

You've heard it a millions time RDWHAHB!

I (mis?) interpret a lot of posts here as being overly anxious.

Did I do this or that right?

How will variable X affect my beer?

Isn't that part of the fun of homebrewing? (Attempting to establish a repeatable process on your own equipment while making a drinkable beer, all through experimentation.)

Do you feel anxious about brewing? Why? Time/money wasted? If you had no one to ask, would you still brew?

You hit the nail on the head, new brewers are overly anxious. They only know enough to be "dangerous" so ignorance breeds fear until they gain the experience that leads to wisdom.

They often don't understand that nothing pathogenic can exist in beer, so they think that any mistake can be lethal or make you sick.

Also they think their beer is like a new born baby and that it need to be hovered over, and if they even look at it wrong it's going to be ruined, and more than likely anyone who drinks it will therefore die a horrible deat.

They furthermore don't realize just how ugly, and stinky fermentation can be, and don't realize that we're really drinking the waste product of a micro-organism, and like any waste product it can kind of look pretty disgusting, even when it is normal.

They don't realize how hard it really is to do a screw up that would actually ruin our beer. They don't think they can screw up.

We're human, we're always going to screw something up. The thing is, it's not about not screwing up, it's about rolling with the punches when it happens. It's about saying, "Oh well, I still made beer."

They don't realize that our beer is really resilient, that 99.99999% of our screw-ups are NOT going to ruin our beer, no matter what boneheaded things we manage to do. I've said it a million times, we've sunk body parts in our beer, and it's still turned out fine.

I've been brewing for years, and I'm sure I screw something up everytime I do it....BUT, I don't run on here asking for re-assurance or analyzing the "what if/what could happen " and worrying about it. Instead I trust that it's still going to be fine, because nearly every time, it is.

And if it doesn't, there's nothing I can do about it now. The deed is done and I won't know for 8 weeks or so anyway. And more than likely even if it doesn't turn out, if I stick it in the closet for 6 months or a year.....there's a 50% possibility it WILL still turn out fine.

I suggest all new brewers read these threads instead of worrying, they'll show you how strong your beer really i, and how all of us make mistakes.

Revvy's advice for the new brewer in terms of worry.

What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great?

And Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer!

We're human, to expect that we won't make mistakes is silly. It still happens, I bet your pro-brewer made a bunch of mistakes while showing you what to do....but he didn't react to them, he just continued on.

That's what an expert does....it's not that he's perfect, he just doesn't let the screwups get to him.

:mug:

Thanks Revvy, that all makes a lot of sense. I think that I'm just going to focus on what my next batch will be rather than even think about the one fermenting in my closet until it is time to bottle.

Back