Worried about first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytondb

Reaction score
Hello, first all grain attempt. Unfortunately due unforeseeable events I could not fully chill down my beer before adding to carboy. added around 150 degrees. Making a saison. Then pitched yeast later at 86 degrees. I have good fermenting activity. Temp now is down to 73ish with bubbling. will bring upstairs to bring back to higher temp. My question is.... will not chilling beer, adding yeast at 86 degrees or fluctuating temps screw this up. Thanks for your help.

Well it will be BEER and that is what counts so don't worry too much. You may get some off flavors due to the proper temps not being met and held but it should still be OK. 86 was definitely too warm to pitch the yeast and depending on the yeast strain 73 is probably at the higher end. My advice is to just leave it where it's at. Keep the carboy at 73 for another 2-3 weeks. Then bottle.

We brew away from home and don't get our wort chilled to pitching temperature at the brewing place so we bring it home in carboys (with airlock) and stick into fridge w/temp controller which I set usually 2-3 degrees colder than what we want to ferment at. Once it hits that temp I then pitch and set controller to fermenting temp (2-3 degrees warmer). My advice for next time would be to cool the wort off much more even if it takes another day then aerate and pitch.

This one's ideal range is 68-75F,so it was a little high. Some say it's finicky,stalls out at lower than mid 70's temps from what I read of reviews. 75-76 seems to be it's happy place. So you might've done it a favor with the higher start temp.

Back