Worried about airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordtruck

Reaction score
I've homebrewed for a few years now and I have a situation that I've never had. I have a batch of Irish Red in my fermenting bucket right now. I used the dry yeast included with the Midwest kit. It started bubbled like crazy for a couple days and then stopped. The unusual part is that now at two weeks in the bucket the pop off valve in my three piece airlock has fallen back down to the bottom. I've never had one do that. In the past even when they stopped bubbling the valve would still be held all the way to the top of the airlock. Should I be concerned?

I was going to let it sit for a week or two more and then keg it. I'm worried now and thinking maybe I should keg it now. What do you think?

refill the airlock with more vodka(?) or whatever sanitized solution you are using then it will probably start to float again.

this is pretty normal.....the temperature of the beer probably has gone down, creating a bit of negative pressure inside the container....sucking the airlock cap back down. it's pretty normal....so no worries mate.

I checked and the water is still at the line on the air lock.

The temp is holding steady at 70. I was worried that it might be able to suck air into the bucket. If you don't think it's a problem, then I won't sweat it.

Thanks guys!

I think at some point after fermentation,some of the remaining co2 dissipates,while a little bit goes into solution during temp changes.

Back