World Cup???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bjorn Borg said:
well the u.s. got spanked today by the Czech's, and it could be more of the same from England (apparently they are even better then the Czechs)

Actually Italy is next for the U.S.

That was pathetic to watch. The U.S. needed a good showing to generate any kind of interest in the sport--but that effort won't help. They look uninspired to say the least. I won't be watching any more World Cup....it was just about how I figured it would be. The US team is boys against men in this sport.

England were pretty awful in their first game against Portugal.

The Scots have officially adopted Trinidad & Tobego as our team! :rockin:

So, Mysterio, you're rooting for MacTrinidad, huh? They tied Sweden on Saturday, right? I heard they're a team with some promise.

I'm interested to see Korea play tomorrow. Incidentally, how do they decide who plays in the WC tourney? Are the national teams playing constantly and they qualify if they have a certain record?

Prior to yesterday, my teams were (not predictions, just who I'm rooting for):
1. US
2. Mexico
3. Ecuador
4. Sweden

After that showing by the US, however, they're off my list. Totally agree with Dude...they're whining about a lack of awareness, and that's how they generate excitement? By not even playing as hard as a U-7 team? What a bunch of crap. I'll happily eat my words if they beat Italy and Ghana to advance, but I'm not holding my breath. Even Ghana looked significantly better and more prepared than the US.

The England/Sweden match is going to be huge for that group! Also, with a good showing against Costa Rica, Ecuador is likely to advance (where they'll probably get whupped). Remains to be seen how Mexico plays against a European foe.

I can only hope that the US's performance was a fluke and the real team will show up for the games against Italy and Ghana. The only upside is that only one of the goals (the last one) was earned - the rest were caused by extremely poor defense (no marking on the 6'7" man-child in the box on the first and pathetic clearance right to the open attacker on the second). If the defense will stop being so terrible and the offense will do anything, we could have a chance.

So far, my prediction to win it all is Netherlands. They just dominated their game and I was extremely impressed. Of course, Brazil v. Croatia is today, so I may have a new favorite after that.

I would rather watch curling and men's figure skating than soccer. Part of me is happy the US lost their first game. The US will never be able to compete in international soccer since all of our premier athletes are playing football and basketball instead of soccer while most of these other countries, soccer is the #1 sport.

Since my wife is Australian and the US is not looking too good right now I'll have to say,

Let's Go Australia!!! They finished strong against Japan.:ban:

HurricaneFloyd said:
I would rather watch curling and men's figure skating than soccer. Part of me is happy the US lost their first game. The US will never be able to compete in international soccer since all of our premier athletes are playing football and basketball instead of soccer while most of these other countries, soccer is the #1 sport.

Of course, we've been getting out asses handed to us in international hoops as well (although certainly for reasons other than athleticism).

I just have a hard time getting into soccer. Might have been different had I played in a league or something when I was younger, but I just have no connection to the sport. For me, it's kind of like that with hockey, as well.

The one big-internationally-but-not-in-the-U.S. sport that I *do* enjoy watching (or *did*) is cricket. Used to watch it all the time when I had FoxSportsWorld. i thought about joining one of the local teams (I know there are at least one or two around before realizing)

A. I'm getting old.
B. I have very little free time as it is.
C. I'm in terrible shape.
D. I'm not exactly the most co-ordinated individual around.

the_bird said:
I just have a hard time getting into soccer. Might have been different had I played in a league or something when I was younger, but I just have no connection to the sport. For me, it's kind of like that with hockey, as well.
I can relate to that. I've had a peripheral interest in it for years because I work and went to school with lots of Europeans, but I didn't watch a whole lot of it. For the last 1.5yrs, however, I've been playing in an adult co-ed soccer league in my town and not surprisingly I have a lot more interest in the professional game now, as well.

Anyone see Germany play today? I thought i was watching a hockey game for a minute with all their shots on goal! they are looking pretty sweet in my limited American soccer knowledge.

England vs Germany would be awesome to watch...
ps Brasil looked pretty good too thier last game.

Bjorn Borg said:
Anyone see Germany play today? I thought i was watching a hockey game for a minute with all their shots on goal! they are looking pretty sweet in my limited American soccer knowledge.

England vs Germany would be awesome to watch...
ps Brasil looked pretty good too thier last game.
I was pretty bummed about Ecuador...that's who I'm rooting for this Cup (MIL is from Ecuador). I didn't see it, but heard they looked pretty ho-hum and not really up for the game while Germany was on fire.

Getting ready to check out for the day and watch the England v. Sweden match. Should be pretty interesting given that I work for a Swedish company with headquarters in London and half of work is probably going to the bar.

I've been watching the WC since it started. My wife and her sister are Italian, sister-in-law's boyfriend is Mexican, I'm a fan of Germany, and everybody loves to watch Brazil play.

I don't care who wins, so I just play the devil's advocate and root for the "other guy".

-walker

Well we've (England) avoided Germany (luckily) at the second round stage of the Competition at least - We won our Group but we've not played well in any of the games.
Add in the fact that we might be an experienced (although not on form it has to be said) striker down if Michael Owen doesn't recover from the injury he's picked up in tonight's match against Sweden - things aren't looking exactly rosy.....

Still, Ecuador next. C'MON ENGLAND! :ban:

Caplan said:
Well we've (England) avoided Germany (luckily) at the second round stage of the Competition at least - We won our Group but we've not played well in any of the games.
Add in the fact that we might be an experienced (although not on form it has to be said) striker down if Michael Owen doesn't recover from the injury he's picked up in tonight's match against Sweden - things aren't looking exactly rosy.....

yeah that was a crazy game!
Is that guy really injured? its so hard to tell, it seems to me that everytime a stretcher comes onto the field to take a guy off, he usually jumps up off it and runs back on the feild??
Thats what i hate about Brazil:they did alot of 'flopping' last WC, and all thier finesse play, and beauty and all that crap(whatever)

I hope USA plays brazil and beats them 4-nil, that would be sweet!!!

C'mon guys, it's soccer. It's more exciting watching paint dry. I stopped at a local brewpub for lunch the other day. They had two TVs one with the US Open and the other with the World Cup. I told the bartender that it was a good thing the beer was good or I would have been out the door quick.:)

ablrbrau said:
C'mon guys, it's soccer. It's more exciting watching paint dry. I stopped at a local brewpub for lunch the other day. They had two TVs one with the US Open and the other with the World Cup. I told the bartender that it was a good thing the beer was good or I would have been out the door quick.:)

I agree. Watching those matches is excruciating. The worst part of it for me is the bogus refs. They wreck it for me with the red card/yellow card BS. It is all a big conspiracy--I swear it. Living proof is the tape of that pathetic USA/Italy game. :rolleyes: What a joke.

you see, the problem with Americans (and I can say this BEING one) is that we only get really excited about sports that we invented ourselves. I think this stems from a deep seeded feeling of inadequacy or fear thereof. The easiest way to be the best at something is to invent it and have no outside competition; basketball, american football, baseball (though, I think the central and south american's might be better at that one anyway.)

:)

I like watching soccer, but it can be a little slow-paced at time. However, I find it a HELL of a lot more fast-paced and entertaining than baseball.

-walker

Walker-san said:
you see, the problem with Americans (and I can say this BEING one) is that we only get really excited about sports that we invented ourselves. I think this stems from a deep seeded feeling of inadequacy or fear thereof. The easiest way to be the best at something is to invent it and have no outside competition; basketball, american football, baseball (though, I think the central and south american's might be better at that one anyway.)

:)

I like watching soccer, but it can be a little slow-paced at time. However, I find it a HELL of a lot more fast-paced and entertaining than baseball.

-walker

I'll be the first to admit I love playing baseball, but yes, watching it is hard. However, I still like to have the Brewers on in the background most days. College World Series--my ass is planted in the recliner (or at the games!) for the duration.

I'll probably never be a soccer fan because I can't get past the stupid refs.

Hockey is by far the fastest, most interesting sport IMHO. Those athletes are amazing.

Caplan said:
England shouldn't have too much trouble with Ecuador, although they did dominate their first two games and held out 3 players against Germany in the final game when they were assured of advancing. I bought an Ecuador jersey the other day since it also can double in a pinch as a Sweden jersey (career move!).

I will say England looked much more impressive against Sweden than they have in the previous two games. It'll be interesting to see if the form picks up in the elimination rounds for some of the teams that have failed to impress so far.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I will say England looked much more impressive against Sweden than they have in the previous two games. It'll be interesting to see if the form picks up in the elimination rounds for some of the teams that have failed to impress so far.
I've not actually managed to watch Ecuador play yet - I will on Sunday of course! England are struggling to find their true form. We've been shown up really so far. No real strikers on form (and now we're one down as Owen has gone home with a knee injury) and totally shown up defensively from set pieces in the last game with Sweden. At least we have a decent Midfield but i'm not sure it's enough......

omg i tied getting into this but i cant. The usa just let up a goal in a MUST WIN GAME because the captain got kicked in the shin, and he decided to roll around on the ground like a little baby instead of covering the guy. WTF!!! How weak!!!
In American (real) football our players will play with broken limbs sometimes an entire season,let alone a game!!!
And the refs are terrible, with their little yellow cards, what a stupid sport. And you cant use your hands? who invented this game lizards? Humans are all about hands. Imagine playing an instrument without your hands? Or a painter without hands? (i guess Pollack could be an exception)
And whats up with the stretchers? What is this the 1800's?

Disclaimer: if usa wins this match and advances i still like soccer...

The diving is worse than the poor officiating in my opinion. I like the sport, but completely take your point about these guys being sissies. I'm surprised a real man would feel good about the questionable honor of falling down for no reason.

it would be pretty difficult to make and drink beer with no hands.

I think the hands are for THAT purpose. God has no problem with Soccer.

Oh well we suck...Im rooting for Ghana now. Maybe next world cup well have some good players like Freddie Adu. Id get rid of Landon donovon, that guy not only looks soft,but he didnt do crapola. Id axe the soft captain too and get someone with a little more balls. We have too many pretty, ivy league looking, frat boys on our team. McBride and our goalie being the only exception imho.
we need Marc Cuban to step up and buy the international team...

By the way: DAMN YOU GUYS!

I came on here expecting a little more banter about soccer, but NOT expecting to see the result of the US game. I was going to watch that tonight at home.

You guys ruined it for me. Now I'll have to work or something instead.

-walker

Bjorn Borg said:
We have too many pretty, ivy league looking, frat boys on our team.
Welcome to US soccer! Take the most blue collar sport in the world and turn it into something that suburban momma's boys can play without fear of getting scraped up like they would in football, hockey, basketball, etc. Obviously doesn't work well on the world stage. Oh well, I've still got Mexico and Ecuador until this weekend when I'll have to switch to Plan B (the Dutch).

Walker-san said:
By the way: DAMN YOU GUYS!

I came on here expecting a little more banter about soccer, but NOT expecting to see the result of the US game. I was going to watch that tonight at home.

You guys ruined it for me. Now I'll have to work or something instead.

-walker
Bjorn actually saved 2 hrs of your life. :ban:

Baron von BeeGee said:
Bjorn actually saved 2 hrs of your life. :ban:

yeat, it turns out my wife would have spoiled it anyway. she called a few minutes ago to rant about how terrible the US team was and that they were going home.

-walker

Baron von BeeGee said:
Welcome to US soccer! Take the most blue collar sport in the world and turn it into something that suburban momma's boys can play without fear of getting scraped up like they would in football, hockey, basketball, etc.

Well put. :D

That game was truly embarassing. Bruce Arena is an idiot and better not be the coach next time around. What kind of a moron comes out in a 4-5-1 in a must win game against a team that has lost its two strikers and we've lost two defenders. Hell, throw out a 3-5-2 and take it to them offensively all day.

Also, it would have been nice if any of the players would have tried to win

Back