working without a net

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddymem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've graduated from extract kits to my first all grain using the brew in the bag method. I've got a 60 qt pot, turkey fryer burner, bucket fermenters, and temperature control with an aquarium heater in a bin in my cellar.

Kits are the recipes already, and my AG recipe came from someone. I am sitting on two cans of pale liquid malt extract (6.6# total, Muntons I think). I've had these a few months now (Nov., Dec?) and who knows how long they were on the shelf at the lhbs. I don't have a lot of hope for a fresh flavor from them. I need ideas on what to brew, I have a couple. (these would include the 6.6# extract I have already)

EPA
1# crystal
2oz Kent
s-04
cheapest solution, but can't hide the extract in this if it doesn't taste fresh

Irish Honey Red
3oz roasted barley
1oz willamette
1 oz fuggles
Irish Ale yeast
Would this be enough to hide any issues with the extract?

IPA
1.5# Amber DME
1# crystal
1# wheat
1 oz chinook
1oz cascade
S-04 dry yeast
This would probably cover any extract issues.

I'm open to anything. I can do partial or full boil all extract, mini mash, or all grain brew in a bag now so the sky is the limit and that is the problem for me coming up with what to brew using this specific ingredient as opposed to picking a brew and getting the ingredients for that one or simply buying a kit. Maybe a big beer using the extract to boost gravity or something totally different like a braggot...I'm just drawing a blank.:confused:

TIA

I've graduated from extract kits to my first all grain using the brew in the bag method. I've got a 60 qt pot, turkey fryer burner, bucket fermenters, and temperature control with an aquarium heater in a bin in my cellar.

Kits are the recipes already, and my AG recipe came from someone. I am sitting on two cans of pale liquid malt extract (6.6# total, Muntons I think).

3.3 lbs + 3 gallons = 1.041, perfect for a starter wort. Make it when you need one, and can up the leftover. Or use part of a can of LME and freeze the remainder until you're making the next starter.

Back