Working with beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunkyhops

Reaction score
Hey all, Im just wondering if anybody here has some advice on how I can get into brewing for a living. I dont mean like running my own brewery although that is the goal to get to that point and one day have my own Microbrewery, but im wondering how I can get in the door? Do I need a degree in chemistry or biology or can I start at the bottom and work my way up to becoming a Brewmaster. Ive heard of the Siebel Intitute and their courses, is this something I should really look into or at somepoint does expirience outweigh this certification? Ever since I started brewing Its been something that has totally sparked an interest and id like to turn my interest in brewing into more than just a hobby. Thanks in advance for advice given.

I got into my local brewpub by volunteering. For education, you can take the American Brewers Guild course online. If you volunteer for a micro, you'll be cleaning kegs (i.e. not learning much). Try your local brewpub...

Education would help, but I don't think it is necessary. Keep pestering a brewer until he (she) lets you help. Then do anything they say with a smile no matter how shtty the job. Be persistent and absorb every bit of info you can.

Skunkyhops said:
Just curious what kind of things they have you do when you go in and volunteer?

Since they rarely keg anything and I'm friends with the brewer, I get to control the sparge, do the hop additions, vorlauf, etc. The only physical thing I do is load the grain hopper and then rake out the mash tun. Its actually relaxing compared to my day job...

Nuckin Futs!! Sounds like you have a good time helping out must be nice knowing the Brewer... You ever take in any of your Homebrews and have em taste it?

Skunkyhops said:
Hey all, Im just wondering if anybody here has some advice on how I can get into brewing for a living. I dont mean like running my own brewery although that is the goal to get to that point and one day have my own Microbrewery, but im wondering how I can get in the door? Do I need a degree in chemistry or biology or can I start at the bottom and work my way up to becoming a Brewmaster. Ive heard of the Siebel Intitute and their courses, is this something I should really look into or at somepoint does expirience outweigh this certification? Ever since I started brewing Its been something that has totally sparked an interest and id like to turn my interest in brewing into more than just a hobby. Thanks in advance for advice given.

Well, formal education never hurts. My local state university is pretty well known for its hotel/restaurant management degrees. Working in a micro as pointed out is a great way to learn and gain experience.

When it comes time for you to visit a bank to ask them for money, they may like to see both formal education and hands on experience on your resume'.

Back