Working on second batch of mead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessPurple

Reaction score
I just racked my second batch of mead from the primary but need some opinions/thoughts on my secondaries. I made a five gallon batch in the primary then put it in multiple 1 gal secondaries so I could flavor them differently.

I ended up with:
2 gal of raspberry (1.5 lbs per gal) used the Vintners Harvest can or puree to keep it simple for me. (might add something to one of the raspberry gallons.)
1 gal vanilla oak (1oz oak, 8 beans - older so not as strong - but smell wonderful)
1.5 gal which will be plain (1 plain and .5 for topping off when I rack off fruits if needed)

Questions:

For my primary I had 15.5 lbs honey with 4 gal water. The OG was 1.102 and FG at racking ended up at 1.026. Will the gravity continue to drop in the secondaries a little more?

Also any suggestions for time on the fruit or vanilla/oak before racking again?

Thanks

For my primary I had 15.5 lbs honey with 4 gal water. The OG was 1.102 and FG at racking ended up at 1.026. Will the gravity continue to drop in the secondaries a little more?

Unfortunately you will have to tell us! It all depends on the yeast, and where you really were in fermentation when you transferred. If you were at FG (stable readings for a week or more, and starting to clear) you should stay where you were. If you weren't at FG, you could drop further, and regardless you could see some fermentation restart slightly in the batches with fruit, since you did add some additional fermentable sugar. You may even see a small change in the fruit batches from dilution as well as from any additional fermentation.

Sorry - White Labs Sweet Mead yeast.

But yes, the gravity was holding constant the last couple days.

Good to know on the fruit.

Back