Woot woot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
My virgin batch is now in bottles! Holy crap talk about an ordeal (bottling). I can see why people move up to kegs. After one batch i am about ready to, but i think that will be a little ways away. If i put bottles in beer boxes and then a trash bag over the stack, will that be enough to prevent these so called bottle bombs from spraying beer all over my laundry room? I dont think i will have any as the hydrometer said 1.012 today and it said the same thing last monday. Man, i wish i could fast forward 2 weeks!

If you can help it at all, give that beer three weeks at room temperature to properly prime and then at least a couple days (preferably, a week) in the fridge to get the C02 properly dissolved. That'll save you a few beers and, likely, some disappointment.

TL

If you haven't already, start planning your next batch becaue the first one usually disappears MUCH too quickly!

If you can help it at all, give that beer three weeks at room temperature to properly prime and then at least a couple days (preferably, a week) in the fridge to get the C02 properly dissolved.

Is this pretty common practice to keep the beer cool for a few days before drinking? I didn't realize that the cold was needed for CO2 dissolution.

dpt222 said:
Is this pretty common practice to keep the beer cool for a few days before drinking? I didn't realize that the cold was needed for CO2 dissolution.
Strict discipline would suggest:

3 weeks at 70 degrees. No shorter...no cooler.

2-3 minimum days at chilled serving temp.

Of course, strict discipline was never my middle name... ;)

dpt222 said:

Yes, your beer will be much better if you give them at least 1 day, preferably a few days, in the fridge before drinking.

Cold beer holds more dissolved CO2 than warm beer.

Redskins838892 said:
If i put bottles in beer boxes and then a trash bag over the stack, will that be enough to prevent these so called bottle bombs from spraying beer all over my laundry room?

As others have said, your beer should be done, and you should be fine. If your final gravity is at or below where the recipe said it should be, then you are fine.

As to the question of bottle bombs, look at this video and you will see that bottle bombs are named so for a reason. I remember one video that showed bottle glass stuck into the sheet rock, but I can't seem to find that one at the moment.

[YOUTUBE]EqmN1cZ9sG4[/YOUTUBE]

ohiobrewtus said:
If you haven't already, start planning your next batch becaue the first one usually disappears MUCH too quickly!

Planned it? He said he was on the way to the LHBS! lol

BierMuncher said:
Strict discipline would suggest:

3 weeks at 70 degrees. No shorter...no cooler.

2-3 minimum days at chilled serving temp.

Of course, strict discipline was never my middle name... ;)

Ooops,
I usually just pull one out of the cupboard in my basement and straight to a glass. I don't often refrigerate my brew... Now that you mention it though, some of my beers do seem under-carbed !?!?

Yea its going to be hard not to drink em. I can honestly say i plan to drink one at the one week mark, and then again at the two week mark because i am new to this stuff and would like to get a feel for the different stages. After that, being in the Navy i have a 2 week 'business trip' i have to go on so that should give those beers plenty of time mellow out. This 'business trip' can definitely work for my brewing though. Tomorrow i am going to whip up another batch and try to get it bottled before i leave and (hopefully) get another batch in the fermenter (or possibly secondary) right before i leave. I dunno, depends on how fast the next batch can ferment and how soon the carboy gets here i suppose.

rabidgerbil said:
As others have said, your beer should be done, and you should be fine. If your final gravity is at or below where the recipe said it should be, then you are fine.

As to the question of bottle bombs, look at this video and you will see that bottle bombs are named so for a reason. I remember one video that showed bottle glass stuck into the sheet rock, but I can't seem to find that one at the moment.

[YOUTUBE]EqmN1cZ9sG4[/YOUTUBE]

Video says No longer available!:(

Back