Woops... still to warm to pitch my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I brewed my second today, the Vagabond Gingered Ale from Joy of Home Brewing. I got a lower OG than I wanted- 1.041, but I think that may be the incomplete mixed of the partial boil.

Early in the day, I boiled 4 gallons of water, and then set it aside to cool so I had sterilized water. Problem is this- the water wasn't cooled down anywhere near room temperature by the time I was done brewing this evening. So 4 hours of mixing all the wort together, my wort temp is still about 95°.

I rehydrated my dry yeast, thinking I would pitch in shortly after I mixed everything together. But since it's still so hot, I haven't pitched yet. So I have a Pyrex with rehydrated yeast covered in Saran Wrap.

After trying some various methods, I just set up an impromptu swamp cooler in my landlord's sled. But now I have this yeast- should I just let it set out overnight, or should I refrigerate it?

Any suggestions?

i would imagine you'll be fine letting it sit overnight so long as you didn't add any fermentables to the starter. if you refrigerate it, which should also be fine, be sure to let it come to room temp before pitching.

Thanks, Android. I had proofed it with a teaspoon of boiled sugar, so I stuck it in the fridge. Thanks!

Went to bed right after I posted my last message, so it was in the fridge all night.

The wort cooled down very well with the swamp cooler, and now I'm slowly adding wort to the yeast to get them to the same temp range. My guess is this will make for a slower start on the fermentation, since it'll be on the colder side of the pitching range.

Back