WooHoo Shiner Black Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

quickerNu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just found Shiner's Bohemian Black Lager re-released at HEB. It was last years anniversary beer (97) but I guess it was popular enough to make a comeback. It says on the back "first brewed to commmemerate our 97th anniversary ". They call it a "schwarzbier" with saaz and styrian hops. It is a dark, malty clean lager I could drink all day! Like it even more than 1554. I don't see anything about it on shiner's page. Feel like I struck gold! Too bad they are twist-offs!:rockin:

Old_Brewer

Reaction score
Congratulations on your find. Did you check the date code? I thought Shinner was going to just make that beer for one season, then move on.

BÜRP.

OP
quickerNu

quickerNu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, It's brand new, in a different package from last year. It is an all black label with silver writing. "first brewed to commemorate our 97th anniversary " but definitely re-released.

Old_Brewer

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm going to try to find some. I'm too far north here in Amarillo for HEB. I also have to shop in a "wet" precinct.

OP
quickerNu

quickerNu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll take a pic of the bottle and packaging as soon as I find my camera. I killed the sixer last night, I'm going to go horde as much as I can now!

JnJ

Reaction score
I had some about 3 weeks ago. It kind of reminded me of Coors. Strange for such a dark beer.

OP
quickerNu

quickerNu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
JnJ said:
I had some about 3 weeks ago. It kind of reminded me of Coors. Strange for such a dark beer.
Really? I can't even stand the smell of Coors! Didn't get that from it at all. Guess that's part of what makes this so much fun.:ban: