Woohoo, I may join a dragon boat team..!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Yep, dragon boats, just practicing for now..

First race date should be on the Charles River, Boston, week-end of June 7-8.

Boston area folks may look it up, as there are tons of activity linked to the event, dance, food, music..

Had to google. I'd like to be the motivational drummer ;)

dragonboatfestivalsm.jpg

I've been practicing since March and our races here in Portland are next weekend! Our boats look more like this though:

2005_rosefestival.jpg

It's good fun!

I'd like to be the motivational drummer

Well, we did not train with a drummer but it is critical for all (18?) to paddle and stay synchronized, as each paddle travels well into the path of the ones near you on the boat... if you step off pace you have to raise your paddle and wait for when you are ready to re-engage into the rhythm..!!

...our races here in Portland are next weekend!

2005_rosefestival.jpg

It's good fun!

Wow, your boats are more flamboyant than ours, indeed!
Who is and what does the person at the exteme part of the bow do..? We are not set up like that. Are flags to identify teams..?

You must have raced by now.. how was it?

We got great results, for a "mixed cancers and caregivers" boat makeup (best time was 3:09 on the 500m course, best teams run 2:25, I think).

I had really had tons of fun... and there more dates in my area throughout the summer. Less beer, better paddling shape?

I'm a retired stearnsman and my wife a retired team captain. Most of the time it was a great party!! One weekend it cost us over $100 to keep a couple of kegs cold (buying ice) with little support of other team members so it became a bring your own thing. I kind of remember eating some really tasty brownies one night before bed and waking up more wasted than when I went to bed:drunk: If only I'd been a homebrewer back then.

Yep, we raced this weekend, and man I am beat. We had two races on Saturday and three on Sunday. Placed 2nd in our division with a time of 2:40:39 I believe, or close to it. The faster teams were coming in at 2:22 and I think there was one at 2:18. The river was fast this weekend. That's a good minute faster than last years times.

As for the teams and who's who on these "big" boats. We have 16 paddlers, 1 tiller, 1 caller and 1 flag catcher. Flag catcher stretches out over the top of the big head up front. Flags are on bouys. Here's a link to a short video of our first race yesterday.

We are the team on the outside (yellow flag). Came in a close second on that race.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back