WOOHOO! Hopsdirect order in!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKantyka

Reaction score
So Ive been eye-balling hopsdirect for a while now for some of their pellet hops to become available. I have no issue with whole leaf but the space required compaired to pellets is ridiculous.

Anyways, they finally started to put stuff up today and I just placed my order! They didnt have Columbus or Sorachi Ace available but Im hoping I can just grab those later on or trade for them. Regardless, here it is :D Figured Id try their new Legacy hops too

Item 1: 1 Ea. Domestic Pellet Hops Amarillo VGXP01 c.v.Pellet Hops* $16.50
Options: Size: 1 Lb.

Item 2: 1 Ea. Domestic Pellet Hops Nugget Pellet Hops $10.35

Item 3: 1 Ea. Domestic Leaf Hops Legacy Leaf Hop 2011 NEW CROP $11.15
Options: Size: 1 LB

Item 4: 1 Ea. Domestic Pellet Hops Citra Pellets* $15.75

Item 5: 1 Ea. Domestic Pellet Hops Chinook Pellet Hops* $14.05

Just ordered a pound each of Centennial and Amarillo. Not really all that familiar with Amarillo (I've only had it in Raging ***** and DFH 90 min) but everyone seems to love it. Should have ordered some Chinook to probably, but I only feel OK spending about 50 bucks at a time on beer supplies. Plus, I still need some to make browns and stouts with so I'm gonna wait on the Williamette I think. Can't wait to use some. Maybe make Yoop's Ruination clone. :ban:

I picked up a pound of citra, amarillo and centennial. If i can only get my hands on some simcoe, i'll be set for a long while.

So Ive been eye-balling hopsdirect for a while now for some of their pellet hops to become available. I have no issue with whole leaf but the space required compaired to pellets is ridiculous.

Anyways, they finally started to put stuff up today and I just placed my order! They didnt have Columbus or Sorachi Ace available but Im hoping I can just grab those later on or trade for them. Regardless, here it is :D Figured Id try their new Legacy hops too

Options: Size: 1 LB

Looks like in all but one case you got hops that are a year old.

Yeah I wish the nugget were fresh, but what can you do. I figured if im ordering I might as well save on shipping

I checked first thing this morning and was completely disappointed that I didn't see anything new. Thanks for the heads up, my order is in. Been low on American type hops for a while now.

I received my leaf hops from them on Saturday - LB each of Cascade, Columbus, Crystal, and Williamette. Havent had much experience with all but the cascade so I am interested to give them a try.

They do take up a lot of room, but if you vacuum seal them in the foodsaver bags they condense a good bit.

I measured around 18 oz each, so either my scale is off or they have a gracious pound. I believe it is the latter as people have said on here before.

I measured around 18 oz each, so either my scale is off or they have a gracious pound.

Hops Direct always delivers a 'heavy pound' 17-20oz from my experience.

And ya, if you vacuum seal the hops in smaller bags, they'll take up less room. Those 1lb bags of whole leaf are quite big.

Hops Direct always delivers a 'heavy pound' 17-20oz from my experience.

And ya, if you vacuum seal the hops in smaller bags, they'll take up less room. Those 1lb bags of whole leaf are quite big.

I think I was successful in negotiating a new chest freezer with the wife so that my hops didnt take up so much room. :rockin:

How would you store these without a vacuum sealer and how long should they be good for? I would imagine a pound would last me a year.

Also, can you substitute bittering hops without much effect on the final flavor as long as you keep the AAU's the same?

How would you store these without a vacuum sealer and how long should they be good for? I would imagine a pound would last me a year.

Also, can you substitute bittering hops without much effect on the final flavor as long as you keep the AAU's the same?

I bought some ziplock mylar bags. I think that's the best I'm going to get without a vacuum sealer.

I bought some ziplock mylar bags. I think that's the best I'm going to get without a vacuum sealer.

Yep mylar bags or maybe even stuff mason jars full of hops and then purge with CO2 if you have the capabilities. And keep them in the freezer if at all possible.

As far as substituting hops, yes for the most part you can swap for similar bittering hops as long as the AAs are the same. You may see some subtle difference but if you keep within the same general style (American, German, English) you will be okay. For instance I use Magnum for just about all my bittering, but I am generally brewing american style pales, IPA, browns, stouts, porters.

Looks like in all but one case you got hops that are a year old.
You've got that backwards. All but one is 2011. Only Nugget pellet is last years crop. The invoice is misleading. Their web guy must not have updated what gets listed on the invoice, but it is updated to 2011 when shopping.

I just squeaked my order in before Citra disappeared, and got most of those other varieties. I chose Nugget leaf to get the 2011 crop.
I still fear they may email me and say they ran out of Citra.

I just squeaked my order in before Citra disappeared, and got most of those. I chose Nugget leaf to get the 2011 crop.
I still fear they may email me and say they ran out of Citra.

Drat! I'd been looking to try to get a pound of Citra for a couple of months now and was sad to see it not on the list. Looks like I arrived to the party a bit too late.

Just ordered a pound of Centennial. I stocked up on Citra through Freshops.com

FYI... they have Citra as well as a bunch of others that are sold out elsewhere. Granted they are whole hops. I see alot of users here who missed Citra pellets. I cant imagine fresh hops will keep their Citra in stock for too long given the demand.

Ugh. Once I saw this thread I knew my wallet was in for a hurting. Got a pound of Amarillo and Centennial pellets. Probably get my Simcoe and Citra from Freshhops if I can justify paying their prices.

KKantyka said:
Want to trade some Centennial for Chinook? :D

Thanks for the thought, but I went ahead and had them add some to my order. I emailed them to ask and they got back to me in five minutes! With how busy I expect they are today, that is exceptional customer service!

Thanks for posting this. Read it, ordered 4 lbs of hops, and now it's recipe time. I'm making my AG shift and planning to start w/ a series of 1-gal SMASH brews to get my skills and my hops dialed in at the same time :)

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

Been dealing with hopsdirect for years now, top notch service!!
Picked up 7lbs today, to go with the 9lbs I got 4weeks ago..on a Galaxy kick(they are out now)
they were out of citra, but I'll managed..
I brew 20 gallons, so I go thro a pound or so a batch, (ipa's and more ipa's!!)
Glad I have a full size freezer for all those hops..:rockin:

Yea I wish they had Simcoe.

pssst....

beerandhops.jpg

I'm really disappointed that you guys bought all the Citra before I got off work. I had to order them from Freshops for $25.60/lb, in leaf form, I also got Simcoe from them.

Back