Woohoo first boil over!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

macbeer43

Reaction score
Bound to happen I looked away for a sec. and she rose fast...just doing 2.5 gal...I still got around 1.050 on Amber ipa..

stevem86

Reaction score
I had my first boil over 2 weeks ago. I was brewing an IPA. I added 3 ounces of hops at the beginning of the boil and it went up so fast! I was brewing a 5 gallon batch in a 10 gallon kettle!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

UWDawg13

Reaction score
Just broke my boil over cherry last batch too - tried to get as much water as I could to boil on an extract batch in my 5g pot. I'm spoiled with a SWMBO who loves to brew and help in anyway possible and she helped clean up that mess.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had quite a few when I was trying to boil 7 gallons in a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot. Every once in a while since. The last was 2 brews ago, I was adding brown sugar that was clumped so I guess it was hotter than expected and got to boiling before I was ready for it. A massive boil over.

browder

Reaction score
Yup just had my very first a couple weeks ago-4th season and I do know it was batch #23 this season--I was busy rinsing my grain bag out when it happened to me 7.5 Gal. pot filled to the rim--I think it happens more when you got the bigger kettles thinkin it won't raise up 3" or 4"---I'm fixin to go outside with my brewing and my guess is it's gonna happen a lot more often before I get **** figured out---

6footbrewery

Reaction score
I had my first boil over on my first brew. :( it was not to bad but I didn't know it would raise so much when I added the hops. Now I just add then slowly and watch it like a hawk. I think it's kind of neat to watch it boil and smell it.
For sure it sucks to clean up. I just got the hose out for that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Curtis2010

Reaction score
Never had a boil over...maybe I should stage one just for fun. ;-)