Wooden Top for the Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
Currently constructing a kegerator with a chest freezer from Craigslist. I am modifying it with a 2x8 pine collar with the taps and collar swinging up when placing a new keg inside. The top of the freezer is dented up a little bit so I was planning on covering it up by gluing a large pine board I had on top of the freezer and adding pine trim to the sides. Now I am wondering if I could skip gluing the board to the top and use the pine board as the kegerator lid. The board is about 1 3/4" thick and I would insulate it with the same material as the collar. Has anyone tried this and what problems would I potentially encounter? I'm not concerned with the weight of the lid so much either and will be finishing with a stain and 3 coats of poly.

Thanks!

seems fine. Just make sure your design allows for full sealing... Seriously, not just "pretty well sealed". I'm talking like when you open a good sealed fridge and there is a little vacuum trying to hold the door closed. One idea for the heavy lid problem is car hatch struts.

I did the same ... it seemed to me that it would be easier to just build the whole thing than to reuse the original lid on the top ... my top is plywood plus cement board plus tile, with insulation underneath ... unless you want to do the double-hinge thing, I think this gives a more cohesive, finished look, and you can get more creative with the top surface.

That's what I was thinking rebuild the whole lid in wood and insulate the heck out of it would be a little easier than afixing the original lid on top. Thanks for the feedback.

Back