Wooden Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHomebrewConnection

Reaction score
I wonder... has anyone you've heard of ever converted an old whiskey or wine (or unused) barrel into a mash tun? What do you think some pros vs cons might be?

I have seen a pumpkin converted into a mash tun, there should be no doubt that it can work.

I would be weary of the the mash tun soaking up wort during the mash. Also, it would be hard to clean the barrel once you do mash in, nasty stuff will grow on the wort that is stuck in between the cracks of the barrel and could influence the finished beer.
The boil will kill the microbes the byproducts they produce during their growth cycles will survive the boil, and contribute to poor head retention and impact the flavor.

On the plus side I wonder how much oak flavor this will impart on a beer, and if it would be different than aging the beer in a barrel? I would think that the heat of the mash would make the oak leach more flavors into the beer.

I would not do it more than once in the same barrel.

a barrel IS insulation and you don't need to direct heat it, even though you COULD via "heat stick" or even rims/herms if you consider that "direct".

Novel, but impractical, I'd say, due to cleanliness.

There was a time when all beer was mashed in wooden barrels of some sort. I would be concerned with leakage. You would have to keep the tun full of water when it's not in use so it will remain watertight. Otherwise the wood will shrink and it will leak when you use it.
I think this is a good idea, and would be a great part of a historical looking homebrew setup.

Back