Wooden Dowel Dip Stick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juskojj

Reaction score
Thoughts on using polyurethane to seal a wood dip stick for volume measurement? I know the stuff is waterproof and wouldn't think anything would leach out after dried.

I use a dowel from the hardware store. I did not seal it and have not had any issues. I keep it dry when not in use.

I use a dowel from the hardware store. I did not seal it and have not had any issues. I keep it dry when not in use.

In case you're using stainless and haven't seen this thread yet, here's another option: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f257/how-add-permanent-volume-markings-kettle-illustrated-463099/

I used this method on my HLT and it works awesome.

I too used an unfinished wooden dowel without any problems, but just finished engraving my BIAB kettle last night. Instead of a battery I used a 1 amp 12 volt battery charger.

I used a bit of aluminum bar stock. No finish required. My number stamps were nowhere to be found at the time so I made do with Roman numerals.

2014-11-18 11.01.38.jpg

Thoughts on using polyurethane to seal a wood dip stick for volume measurement? I know the stuff is waterproof and wouldn't think anything would leach out after dried.

Having been in the refinishing business for many years, it has always been my understanding that poly, once cured, is inert and non-toxic. It has the highest abrasion resistance of any finish and at the same time is slightly elastic, so it will expand and contract along with changes in the wood due to temp/humidity fluxuations without cracking or peeling. In and around food it has never been known to present any problems. You can stick a poly-coated wooden implement into boiling liquid for a short time and as long as it has been applied properly it will be OK. Re: the wood underneath it "leaching" into your brew? Highly unlikely. Even if it were bare wood, the average hardware store dowel is probably maple and there is nothing in maple that is harmful or toxic. Anyone worried about a woody taste in their beer should avoid oaked stouts. :mug:

I've been using a wooden dowel with no seal or finish for quite some time now, with no issues. I only use it pre boil or just before flame out. Though I have been meaning to etch to the old dip tube from my keggle.

I use an unfinished stick of wood that I notched with a hacksaw one side for my 10 gal kettle the other side for my 5 gal pots. Hundreds of batches without issues.

I just used a permanent marker on my dowel. Yeah I'm high tech like that.

I use an unfinished stick of wood that I notched with a hacksaw one side for my 10 gal kettle the other side for my 5 gal pots. Hundreds of batches without issues.
I notched mine with a chainsaw file AND marked it with a Sharpie! GMTA!

Now, however, my dowel is a relic, as I electro-etched the volume onto the inside of my aluminum pot.

I use a plastic ruler with some tape on it for gallon marks. I measure from the lip of my kettle down to the top of the wort. No need to submerge anything to measure.

I am lazy and decided all batches would be the same volume long ago. I just put two punch marks in my Keggle at 11 gallons and 12 gallons. 12'ish is my target pre-boil and when I can see the punch for 11, I am at about 10.75 gallons and it is time to drain. I end up with 5.25'ish in each fermentor.

I marked my spoon handle. I've always got it handy and I didn't need to buy anything new.

Years ago when making a cutting board, I read many articles that wrote about the natural antibacterial properties of wood. So if that's a concern for using unfinished wood, don't worry. As usual, it was the stuff people used to finish the wood that can cause problems.

If the concern is over the wood absorbing water or leaching unwanted taste into the wort? Again, I wouldn't worry. The brief few seconds it's in the wort, 2 or 3 or 4 times during the boil, is not enough time to leach anything.

If anything, you might try a food safe mineral oil. It's odorless, tasteless and well... food safe... ;)

Just don't leave your dip stick laying in a puddle of motor oil! :mug:

Hmmm... Does that sounds strange to you?? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back