Woodcut #2 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbell386

Reaction score
Help-newbie here & my friend in Colorodo has thrown down a challenge (I started brewing with a MR Beer at Christmas & have gone to 5 Gallon Carboy Extract (and some partial) brewing-He has had a kit for several years & nothing going-Says if I can brew a beer as good as "Woodcut#2" he will start brewing! All in good fun-we've known each other Since grade school!
I cant find ANY clone recipe & all I know is that its Oak aged, Ale & 11% ABV
Anyone out there familiar with this one?
(P.S.-my last challenge was from my Daughters Boyfriend for some Carrot wine-Thats in a (1) gallon carboy as of last week)
Curt

It's delicious. A few more specs, it's an oak aged golden ale, golden copper color. Features a rich toffee-like malt character is balanced by soft tannins with cut wood and vanilla bean aromas (from the oak).

So my first question to you, since the oak aged component of this beer is one of its critical elements, do you have the capability to oak the beer? Easiest way to do that is to get chips or a stave and use a corney keg for bulk aging on the wood.

As I recal, this wasn't an overtly "belgian" golden ale, as one would think the designation golden ale on the bottle would reflect. Instead, I think the Woodcut series are using the designation of "golden ale" or "crimson ale" (in the case of #3) simply referencing the color of the beer. They aren't brewed to any specific style guidelines but are instead "experimental." However, using a belgian yeast strain could be appropriate and may help you achieve some of the desired characteristics of "goodness" in the beer.

I think your extract bill would be Pilsner DME or other very light LME, light belgian candi sugar, and judicious use of a nobel hop primarily in the bittering additions. The composition of the beer is proably pretty simple, with the oaking bringing out the majority of the characteristic flavors. Good luck with your attempts at a #2 inspired beer.

I was thinking about Oak chips in the 2ndary for 4-6 weeks
Any idea about what IBU? all suggestions welcome!
Thanks for the help
Curt

Latest posts

Back