Woodchuck Or Upchuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
This past summer we had a family reunion. As we were packing up, someone said, "here", and handed me an assortment of leftover libation to take home, which included several flavors of Woodchuck Hard Cider. I had never tasted it until tonight, so I grabbed the Blueberry just to wet my whistle. Admittedly, I am not a hard cider aficianado and wondered whether having poured it down the drain after one swallow was justified. What say you?

I used to like it. Now a days it's to sweet. You made a ok choice!

I may be setting myself up for some derision, but I like the Woodchuck original(Amber) and the Granny Smith version. However, I do dump the Harvest version and haven't tried the blueberry or any other versions out there.
To me, Woodchuck , while it is sweet, tastes more like real apples, and doesn't have that fake taste that Angry Orchard has.
Still, all in all, I like my Graf best. :mug:

I used to like Woodchuck (the Dark & Dry -- I think they call it something different now) before I got much of a taste for beer. Can't get into it much anymore.

And some of the flavored ones aren't great. The raspberry was too sweet and Kool-aid-y, and the pear too watery.

I'm enjoying my third batch of Edwort's Apfelwein, and have developed quite a taste for it. (Easy as sin to make, too!) It's dry, has good apple flavor and finishes clean...what more could I want? By comparison, Woodchuck and the like are just too sweet and syrupy for my tastes.

But my wife loves it, so I pick up a sixer from time to time. :)

The unfortunate sad thing with commercial ciders. The Seattle cider company ciders are good. Though my standby cider, Strongbow went straight down the drain (I have a litany of swears to describe how f-ing bad Strongbow became). Sweet and not at all Apple/cider-y. Woodchuck is the same.

Though I don't turn down free drinks. Or I would use them in some culinary capacity. The various woodchuck ciders could be good for making a homemade sorbet, or part of a fruit reduction sauce over salmon, or a braising liquid with pork.

What I like to do with a sweet cider like Woodchuck or many others if I acquire them by accident or gift? Buy some ACE cider, then mix 50/50. ACE is very very tart, so when blended together they'll taste reasonably realistic to how real cider could taste.

I had woodchuck Gumption the other week, and like most others, it was a little sweet, but I did enjoy it very much whil waiting for my own to ferment and finish. I would buy it again. My 'standard' use to be the Amber, so i'm trying to make a WC amber clone from this forum. . Also, I found the Angry Orchard 'Traditional Dry' to be pretty decent. still sweet, but it has a sort of crisp bite to it that i like.

I'm new to making cider and have been drinking the Woodchuck while waiting for my batches to finish and age a little. Personally I like it. I didn't much care for the Angry Orchard but I thought Woodchuck was decent.

Ahhhh...I love bottled blowies. Invite some girls over, offer them some drinks, let nature take its course.

Pro tip: Don't wear a belt. It confuses them and makes them giggle for some reason.

I'll drink Woodchuck's Granny Smith, and AO's Hop'n Mad, but really, Original Sin is one of the best dry ciders being mass-produced right now. Made with champagne yeast so it isn't sweet at all, but still nicely apple-y.

There's a place up the road that has Woodchuck on tap, so I've filled a couple of growlers to try it out.

I like the Fall Harvest. I like sweet, but it was a little much for me. Lots of interesting flavors. I would buy it again.

I tried their cider with hops and didn't like it at all. I guess I'm not a hops fan.

I'm gonna try their Gumption this weekend.

hey guys. Just not 100% sure on this, but i was at my liquor depot today and got Angry Orchard Stone Dry. The guy said he thinks its the same as the Traditional Dry, but with new packaging. to me it tastes a little drier than i remember. someone who doesn't like sweet might like it.

I had woodchuck Gumption the other week, and like most others, it was a little sweet, but I did enjoy it very much whil waiting for my own to ferment and finish. I would buy it again. My 'standard' use to be the Amber, so i'm trying to make a WC amber clone from this forum. . Also, I found the Angry Orchard 'Traditional Dry' to be pretty decent. still sweet, but it has a sort of crisp bite to it that i like.

I got a bottle of their Gumption from a Total Wine the other day, and I also enjoyed it. I'm not a huge fan of their flagship cider, but I thought Gumption had pretty decent body and character. On the sweeter side, but not as syrupy as some of the cider I've had.

Ahhhh...I love bottled blowies. Invite some girls over, offer them some drinks, let nature take its course.

Pro tip: Don't wear a belt. It confuses them and makes them giggle for some reason.

At first, I thought this was supposed to be funny.

Then I realized that any guy that would post this isn't funny at all. Nasty, not funny, and really disrespectful to women.

My sweetie prefers ACE over any cider but drinks Johnny Appleseed before WC or AO. I think Johnny Appleseed is a bud product. She's OK with the Apfelwein I make if it is well aged.

ps - thanks Yoop for speaking up :)

I've tried a few commercial ciders, and Woodchuck's Granny Smith is OK. Angry Orchard is too sweet, but I'll get it on tap at the bar sometimes. Strongbow Gold Apple is OK too. I like my own more than any of them though.

Welll...... Here's the deal.

Finding a good cider outside of a british or irish pub is damned near impossible.

I tend to like my ciders dry, and the world of commercial ciders hasn't caught on to the fact that a LOT of people out there tend to favor them the same, or at least dryer than what they produce is.

Woodchuck and crispin are not the worst (that right goes solely to Angry Orchard, which produces "cider" that tastes like Mott's juice boxes with a bit of grain alcohol added). I have been known to not only drink them but buy them as well. (Apple season is short and my wallet is very thin around that time of year, and home brewed cider is nectar of the gods, but it simply doesn't ever seem to be enough of it to go around).

So.... If I was given Woodchuck, I'd say "thank you very much" and probably drink it, but yes, it's a pale, pale, pale comparison to a nice pint of Blackthorn or something I made during the winter months.

Welll...... Here's the deal.

Finding a good cider outside of a british or irish pub is damned near impossible.

I tend to like my ciders dry, and the world of commercial ciders hasn't caught on to the fact that a LOT of people out there tend to favor them the same, or at least dryer than what they produce is.

Woodchuck and crispin are not the worst (that right goes solely to Angry Orchard, which produces "cider" that tastes like Mott's juice boxes with a bit of grain alcohol added). I have been known to not only drink them but buy them as well. (Apple season is short and my wallet is very thin around that time of year, and home brewed cider is nectar of the gods, but it simply doesn't ever seem to be enough of it to go around).

So.... If I was given Woodchuck, I'd say "thank you very much" and probably drink it, but yes, it's a pale, pale, pale comparison to a nice pint of Blackthorn or something I made during the winter months.

I haven't been drinking or making cider for very long so I can't comment on what truly good cider tastes like, but I couldn't agree more with your statement - hit the nail right on the top of the ole head. Couldn't agree more. The store bought stuff I've tried so far seemed pretty good but a little less sugar would certainly go a long way in improving them.

Then I realized that any guy that would post this isn't funny at all. Nasty, not funny, and really disrespectful to women.

"You find me offensive, I find you offensive. For finding me offensive."
~Marshall Mathers

I'll drink a nice cold Woodchuck Hopsation any day of the week. Two or three, actually.

^ Agreed. Hopsation is their best, though I wish they were drier. 802 dark n dry was really good but they've sweetened it to the point that it's just OK now. And their Winter Chill would be great if it were less sweet. I did think their hint of blueberry was pretty good.

Don't get me started on Angry Orchard. I swear they are just Zima with a new label. Terrible stuff.

And 1911 is pretty crappy too. More like Smirnoff's than ciders.

I dumped every Strongbow I have ever tried.

Johnny Appleseed is ridiculously over sweet.

Smith and Forge. Blehck.

I guess with everything considered woodchuck is the way to go if you are going commercial. It's what got me into home brewing and craft cider/beer in the first place so it can't be all bad.

^ Agreed. Hopsation is their best, though I wish they were drier. 802 dark n dry was really good but they've sweetened it to the point that it's just OK now. And their Winter Chill would be great if it were less sweet. I did think their hint of blueberry was pretty good.

Don't get me started on Angry Orchard. I swear they are just Zima with a new label. Terrible stuff.

Smith and Forge. Blehck.

I guess with everything considered woodchuck is the way to go if you are going commercial. It's what got me into home brewing and craft cider/beer in the first place so it can't be all bad.

So you don't really like sweet cider?

Ouch. Good point, though. It also didn't seem relevant to the discussion in any way. Oh well.

If you don't like cider, then much of it will probably not be to your liking. It's like asking a cricket fan who their favorite baseball team is. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

Having said that, there is a world of difference between AO and Woodchuck. AO is cloying like a Jolly Rancher, and it is overpoweringly sweet AND tart, if that's possible. It tastes like "apple" flavoring, not apples.

Woodchuck Amber is pretty solid. The old Dark & Dry was great. Did someone say that was renamed? Hopsation is interesting. Not sure I love it, but I'll drink it again. The summer blueberry one was not bad, although to be fair, I had it in the fall. I think it would be better on a hot day.

I think Crispin is overpriced. I think Magners is very thin and watery. It's definitely not too sweet, but also not too interesting.

To answer the OP, if you didn't like it, you're justified dumping it, but I wouldn't have :)

Can anyone tell us what British cider brands we might find here in the US that we should be trying?

Smith and Forge. Blehck.

Have you tried AO's Hop'n Mad? It's the only AO I will drink. Pretty dry (esp. for AO) and the touch of Strisselspalt hops is nice.

Have you tried AO's Hop'n Mad? It's the only AO I will drink. Pretty dry (esp. for AO) and the touch of Strisselspalt hops is nice.

It actually took me two weeks to drink 4 bottles of it and gave the last 2 away. I wanted so bad to enjoy it but I just couldn't. The apple flavoring in AO is just so un-cider that it just couldn't hook me.

I like some sweet ciders. Just not a huge fan of flavorings or cloyingly sweet ones. It's all about taste for me. Dry or sweet but my taste has to be there.

Fair enough!

:)

I still like Original Sin as my favourite American cider. Dry and very apple-y.

A few weeks back, I had a taste of some French cidre from a 750mL bottle and it was really good, but not like American or English ciders. I don't have the palate to say what was different, just that is was.

Fair enough!

:)

I still like Original Sin as my favourite American cider. Dry and very apple-y.

A few weeks back, I had a taste of some French cidre from a 750mL bottle and it was really good, but not like American or English ciders. I don't have the palate to say what was different, just that is was.

Original Sin isn't bad either.

Truth be told, here in the US, it's hard to find a good cider. We take for granted somewhat our own brews, and forget that beer DOMINATED the market for the longest time (that any of us still living can remember). It wasn't until about 5 or so years ago that you had the influx and proliferation of hard ciders.

I mean my intro to it was while visiting a female friend of mine that knew I had an absolute hatred of beer, and suggested I try the ONE random season cider was that they had on tap. I fell in love with it and it was that lack of options that got me into making cider. (I got sick and damned tired of going bar to bar with friends and on almost a weekly basis of trying new bars out, being met with the same response, "sorry. we don't have ciders here")...

It was hard to find many options in a liquor store even, and you were pretty much limited to woodchuck, woodpecker, or maybe a bottle of Samuel Smith's.

Angry Orchard is **** cider. It's a division of Sam Adams, A BEER company. They don't really understand cider, but they know it's the hip new thing that every's into. And they market the hell out of it. On the one hand you feel like, "For ****'s sake! Did you brew this or just open a jug and pour some alcohol in it!" but on the other hand, it's because of their marketing that interest has grown and there's some good ciders making way into the market more now.

I think though, that now cider's in this weird place. Wine and beer are now grown up drinks where you see people acting snooty as hell and talking about "terroir" and tasting the earth, or how the "minerals in the brewing water" enhance and change the flavors. They talk of pinot noir, pinot grigio, pinot blanc, and pinot meunier. They talk of lambics, ales, lagers, stouts, and porters.

Cider.... It's not like that. You look around this forum, and most people are just buying jugs of cheap apple juice, dumping yeast into it, and happy with the results. It doesn't have a complex process like beer does, nor can you do terribly much with varietals in your materials like wine (worse yet, a single variety of apple tends to make a rather terrible cider).

In fact, when talking "like a grown up" about the alcohol you brew, the newest upstart, mead, is much easier to discuss than cider. Between it's nuanced flavors of the honey sources itself, it's ease of lending itself to process differences (do you burn the honey first to make a bochet? do you add fruits along side it to make a melomel? when do you add those ingredients to get what flavors from your additions? do you add spices to create a metheglin?) as well as tastes originating from the source itself (what varietal of honey do you use? did the bees somehow pick up another flavor that enhances/detracts from this year's harvest? Does the age of the honey affect the flavor? does aging the mead itself affect the flavor?)

Cider is still kind of trying to find itself within that realm to stand by its brothers and sisters in the art of brewing, and unfortunately, I think part of its staying power will depend on how it "pretend" along side all these other alcoholic drinks. Unfortunately, I don't think cider's a drink that's like that. It's an "everyman's drink", (and that, is something in itself that should be celebrated).

I'm sorry if I kinda seem like I'm rambling here, but I guess what I'm getting at is that cider's still incredibly new, so there's going to be some time before people really learn what a cider should taste like, and it's not a beverage that lends itself to many areas where traditionally you can judge or describe it in terms with delineations like you can with other types of brew.

There's basically clarity (which seems fairly easy to nail down, though I don't mind cloudy styles), sweetness, (which is a matter of preference), how well the apple flavor comes through (and that's fairly forgiving. If it tastes like apples, you kinda win), and whether or not there's any off flavors (which is of course demerits).* Cider is simply mainly a thing of personal preference.

*(ONCE IN A BLUE MOON, if there's anything that makes it "special" it's worth noting that. One cider I had a VERY distinct subtle bitterness to it. It wasn't the bitterness of hops though, but the floral-y essence of apple peel.)

Maybe I am not as 'traditional' as some here, but my first cider was a woodchuck amber on tap. I really loved it. In fact that was what hooked me on cider. Tried Hornsby once and hated it. When Angry Orchard came out, I thought it was a bit more tangier than WC but liked it too. Now I am starting with my first batch of home brew, and not sure how it will turn out, but given that I liked WC, that is where I would like mine to go. But I am still experimenting, maybe I will find something different that I like. But honestly, to each their own.

I used to drink woodchuck. What else was there in the 90's! I liked it. Then I branched out. I like my own and artisans now. I'm even critical of crispin these days. All our tastes change.

Can anyone tell us what British cider brands we might find here in the US that we should be trying?

Eric, if you can find Henney's, Burrow Hill or Weston's Old Rosie you're in for a treat. Sadly it is nearly impossible to find much else that's truly representative of English craft cider. Almost everything else "English" you can buy in the stores in the US is either nonexistent or considered swill amongst serious cider drinkers in the UK (Wrongbow, Bulmer's, Gaymers, Magners, Thatcher's Green Goblin, Aspall...)

Back