Woodchuck Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

anthem11

Just finished my first draft tower kegerator build :ban: and got a keg of Woodchuck to try it out. Looking at the label on the keg, it suggests a CO2 pressure of 18 psi, but everything I've read says you're supposed to keep it between 10 and 12 psi. However, everything I've read is in reference to beer. The way I understand it, the CO2 pressure is just there to push the liquid through the tower and into my glass. I tried it out this morning and it was super foamy. I backed the pressure back down to 10psi. Does anyone know if there is a difference in cider needing more pressure than beer?

Cider typically has more carbonation than beer, it isnt crucial tho. If you keep it at 10 psi, it will loose a little carbonation over time and end up being more like a standard American beer type carb.

If you want to push it @ 18psi and keep the strong carb you will have to increase the length of line or decrease the diameter of the line, to give it enough restriction to not push out only foam. Another option I have heard of working are some type of clamp you can add to the line to give the restriction you need, but I have never used these tho so I don't know much about them.

Hope it helps.

Back