woodchuck cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St. Jon's Wort

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have a recipe for something resembling the taste of woodchuck hard cider? I thought about using Ed Wort's apfelwein recipe and just using champagne yeast, but does anyone have a more accurate recipe?

Woodchuck is a lot sweeter than your typical homebrew cider and heavily carbonated. Champangne yeast is just going to make the apfelwein recipe more tart. My guess is that Woodchuck adds a lot of sugar at the end of fermentation. Personally, I would go with an ale yeast, which will leave you with more residual sugar

Supposedly the hefe yeasts are giving the best results if you're looking for residual sweet flavor vs. tartness.
If you want it sweet like Woodchuck, I don't think you can bottle. If you're kegging, just take daily samples of the cider from the carboy. When it hits a taste that you like while still having enough residual sweetness, you can sorbate it, kills the yeast. Then you can keg carb it!

The type of juice also plays a HUGE factor in the end product. As others have said, either kill the yeast and keg, or ad non fermentable sugars.

Yes I am wondering this as well, i plan to make some up this weekend. I want it sweet, which juice do you recomend?

comparing woodchuck to cider is like comparing mad dog 20/20 to a french wine.

Why would anyone want to make mad dog?

apple flavor + sweetener + carbonation + alcohol = woodchuck

Actually, I like the woodchuck Pear cider - not so overly sweet as the others they make...
The juice will not control the sweeetness level of the finished product. The yeast will control that.

315er said:
comparing woodchuck to cider is like comparing mad dog 20/20 to a french wine.

Why would anyone want to make mad dog?

(In my best Thomas Magnum impression)

Because, Higgins, some people like woodchuck!

"Because, Higgins, some people like woodchuck!"

Exactly! I like their granny smith mix and drink it when I run out of homebrew, which hopefully wont be for at least another six or nine months! In fact I have one bottle left that I purchased before my first batch of this season was finished. It has an SG of 1.014 at room temp. Thats a lot of sugar! I would have guessed less.

You can do better than woodchuck without a lot of effort. If you want a sweet cider and can make do with one or two gallons at a time, the best method IMHO is to get a gallon jug or two of pasteurized fresh squeezed juice with no preservatives from your local produce stand and ferment with ale yeast for 7-9 days, depending on your taste and the apples. Then rack it and stick it in the fridge for a couple of days to chill the yeast out. Rack it one more time into bottles or a pitcher and its good to drink. This way, you are arresting the secondary fermentation which is where the more complex sugars break down and you're not adding anything that might alter the flavor of the apples and yeast, which will still be very fresh. Its like a Beaujolais cider. You can wait a few more weeks to let it clear out if you want, but IMHO there is no need to (and often good reasons NOT to will come along).

You can scale this method up to carboys, but chilling the carboys is a pain. Its a pain that I live with until I find the One True Cider Yeast that leaves enough sugar on its own to achieve the right final sweetness without intervention. I've also had good results mixing a half pound of honey per gallon before fermenting, although then you're getting away from the fresh apple flavor and not as much of a sour note as the woodchuck granny smith, but still pretty damn good. Some say that starting with unpasturized juice and adding camden tastes better. I've personally found this is sometimes true but also less predictable and not worth the extra step. But its your call.

This time of year you should be able to find good to excellent fresh juice at your local produce stand. I would recommend going to several if possible and find the one you like that has the best mix of sweetness and flavor. The yeast will change the flavor somewhat, but it generally cant add flavor. You'll probably need to experiment a little with different yeast to find the best match for the apples. I have had good luck with dry ale yeast and on the recommendations of other posters have just ordered some liquid wheat yeasts to experiment with.

When I am making a cider that I plan to serve to more than a few guests, I make it sweeter than for my own consumption, but not as sweet as woodchuck. More like around 1.006 to 1.010. My friends who brew their own dont like it as much but it gets the booty moving and I keep a couple litres of the good stuff on hand for the hard core ciderheads. You dont need to have as much final sugar in your cider as the woodchuck because the apples will have more flavor if you use good fresh juice and you wont need to mask the flavor of any preservatives.

If you chill for a couple of days and are careful not to pick up any yeast with the final racking, you can bottle it sweet. You might want to let it warm back up to room temp for a couple of days just to make sure the yeast doesnt take off again. I use one liter swing tops although I have never managed to save a bottle longer than a couple of months, so I cant promise how long it will last. If you want something with a little more carbonation, you can chill it for a shorter period, and it will have some fiz, although not nearly as much as woodchuck. For that, you need to make enough to put in a keg and carbonate. You could skip the chilling and just rack it a couple times before putting it in champagne bottles, but IMHO it isnt worth the effort - you need to either be real careful with how much yeast and sugar you leave or be prepared to drink it all on short notice when the tops start blowing off. And make sure you have tops that WILL blow off before the bottles blow up or else it will not have the optimal effect on the S.O.

The 802 is by far their best apple cider. I haven't had any of the flavored ones. If you want to know what a cider a home brewer can make try that one. Woodchuck is not overlycarbed in fact it's has very low carbonation as compared to beer. Any dry ale yeast will get you in the right ball park.

Another (somewhat ghetto) method:

1. Make cider with champagne yeast, ferment completely to very dry.
2. Bottle (highly carbonate; very important).
3. At the time of serving, mix with regular apple juice to obtain desired level of sweetness. The highly carbonated cider mixed with uncarbed juice should result in a sweet cider with medium-to-low carbonation.

The ratio of apple juice to cider can be tailored to each individual. If you don't have any apple juice, just tell them it's champagne. :ban:

Using the original fresh juice as a sweetener is my preferred method also. I try not to let the mix get too dry in the first place but sometimes it happens. The woodchuck ingredients list sugar in addition to juice, so they must be using something else besides juice to sweeten.

I just tested a bottle of the Woodchuck 802 and Amber mixes. The SGs were 1.020 and 1.030 respectively. That is even more sugar than the Granny smith mix!

For those of you who live in warmer climes, I would recommend not even waiting 7 days before cold crashing it. We've been having warm weather here in central Virginia and my batches have been fermenting out to 1.004 (which is what I consider about the right amount of sweetness - and a lot less sugar than woodchuck) in about 5 days. Keep in mind that wherever you stop fermentation, it will taste a lot better after being racked and chilled for a couple of days and then racked again. Beyond two days I havent noticed much improvement in taste

This season I experimented with a couple of cysers where I only added 6 oz of honey per gallon instead of 8oz. These came out great and got to 1.006 in only 7 days, although I had to cold crash them to keep from getting too dry. They are about as close as I have come to the "woodchuck" taste this season. Not as sweet but better flavor IMHO. I'm currently experimenting with using varying amounts of cane sugar and dextrose to raise the starting SG instead of honey. They've been going about a week but are all still too sweet - at least for my taste. I'm hoping to find something that will finish out around 1.006 by itself without having to cold crash

As far as yeasts go, I've had consistently good results with Nottingham and OK results with Coopers and Windsor, depending on the apples. The juice I use is a locally pressed table cider mix. Mostly red and golden delicious with Granny smith and winesap for flavoring. Lalvin 1118 works good for producing an extremely tart but very fresh tasting mix with this juice (too tart for my girlfriend but most of my brewer friends like it). I've had poor results with Cotes de Blanc and Lalvin-1116.

Nope, never used lactose. Something about putting milk sugar in cider just dont seem natural. But I'll give it a try since a lot of people on this forum seem to recommend it. Can you get it at a grocery store or is it one of those specialty sugars that you can only get at brewer supply?

eriktlupus said:
can we say milk sugar? ........good job i knew you could do it:ban:

jk
I could but it will make me fart like a SOB

This year I am getting away from using ale yeast and trying actual Cider yeast from Wyeast AND fresh UNpasturized juice. Last years batch I used my normal juice and Pacman yeast and it stripped the hell out of it. Not only is it dry and a bone it's almost flavorless :mad:.

I found a source for "antique apples" and they pressed my juice Friday and I am picking it up tomarrow (Sunday). I'm actually hoping to catch some of the wild yeast and other beasties and adding the cider yeast to see if I can get a local unique flavor. I'm also gonna freeze some of the yeast after 3-4 weeks of fermentation so if it turns out I can re-use it next fall.

If anyone in Southeast Wisconsin, or if ya want a bit of a drive Northern Illinios, wants more info send me a PM

I've been having the same problem of the flavor getting pulled out. I'm trying to make a sweeter and more apply cider, but there doesn't seem too be too many people working on the apple part of that, besides using fresh juice.

Has anyone tried Leener's apple enhancer? Or even know what it is?

I love wood chuck cider, and love the granny smith taste, but don't have a fruit press due to financial funds. Is there a juice out there that resembles or is made out of granny smiths? Could I just throw some granny smiths into a pot with the cider and boil it to get the flavors?

Also, any tips on Pear Juice would help too because I also love that style of cider.

Granny Smiths dont ripen until later in the Fall, but you dont really need them to make something that is as good or better than Woodchuck GS. What you need is a good mix of cider apples that is heavy on the tart apples - Jonathan and Winesaps can be substituted for GS and ripen earlier. Use an ale or wheat yeast and cold crash or bottle pasteurize to keep the residual apple sweetness. You dont need your own press. There are a ton of orchards near you. Find one that has a press and will sell you a tart blend.

http://www.orangepippin.com/orchards/united-states/new-york

Most will charge 4-5 dollars/gal for fresh juice if you bring your own carboy. Less if you buy lots of juice. Dont boil cider - it messes with the taste and wont clear

You can make this out of store bought juice no probelm. Look for the newell woodchuck clone on HBT.

i saw a youtube video where a guy fermented 1 gallon of apple juice. then he racked it and added apple juice concentrate to sweeten, carbonate, and give flavor.

I've been having the same problem of the flavor getting pulled out. I'm trying to make a sweeter and more apply cider, but there doesn't seem too be too many people working on the apple part of that, besides using fresh juice.

Has anyone tried Leener's apple enhancer? Or even know what it is?

I've never tried Leener's Apple Enhancer but I have a batch bottle aging right now that I used some of this in at the time of bottling. I'm not sure how it'll turn out. For reference, I used 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. A 2oz bottle of that stuff will last a LONG time.

Back