Wood fire brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkwooder

Emperor of all things nobody cares about
Reaction score
Does anyone brew over an open wood fire? If so what do you think it adds or takes away from your brews. How much of a smoke flavor is added?

Thanks! :tank: :mug:

Only did it once. First it takes forever to get your BK up to a boil. Getting enough coal under your BK to last the hour or 90 minutes is hard to do. So you are constantly adding wood to the fire. Also, keeping the heat distributed evenly is a challenge. I found when I had to add wood to the fire, ash and would churn up and if your BK lid was off you could get unwanted additives to your beer. I didn't notice any smoke flavor to my wort or finished beer. If you are looking for a smoke profile, roast/smoke your malt rather than boiling over an open wood fire..

Personally a nice banjo burner and propane is the way to go. Cleaner, less work and avoids hot spots,

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

IMO it would be hard to maintain the constant heat needed as mentioned above for an ideal boil at 60-90 minutes. I am definitely interested in seeing the responses to your post.

Now, if you are talking about boiling on a wood fired stove, then I see no reason why this would not work. Our forefathers had to boil their wort somehow. :)

Never brewed over an open fire. I have cooked over open fire enough to know it adds to clean up times. The bottoms of the pots get sooty.

If I was going to boil that way I would incorporate stein bier rocks into it.

I boil off a gallon or so of maple syrup every spring over a wood fire. It involves boiling down 40+ gallons of sap down to a gallon. I do it in an old turkey fryer kettle. It takes me well over 3 days to get it boiled down. I keep the fire burning good and the boil strong.

Only did it once. First it takes forever to get your BK up to a boil. Getting enough coal under your BK to last the hour or 90 minutes is hard to do. So you are constantly adding wood to the fire. Also, keeping the heat distributed evenly is a challenge. I found when I had to add wood to the fire, ash and would churn up and if your BK lid was off you could get unwanted additives to your beer. I didn't notice any smoke flavor to my wort or finished beer. If you are looking for a smoke profile, roast/smoke your malt rather than boiling over an open wood fire..

Personally a nice banjo burner and propane is the way to go. Cleaner, less work and avoids hot spots,

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I don't think I would have any trouble keeping a boil for 60-90 min. I do have my fryer burner that I have been using for my boils so far, but with propane in shortage, I was thinking I might give it a try. I was worried about the smoke flavor, because I have a lager that I have had the grains for, for a couple of months now and need to get it going. I didn't really want to ad any smoke flavor to it.

Way cool^^^^ but also way beyond what I'm looking to do. :fro:

Never brewed over an open fire. I have cooked over open fire enough to know it adds to clean up times. The bottoms of the pots get sooty.

Pure lye, works great and cleans things up pretty good, besides I have a kettle just for this! :D

If I was going to boil that way I would incorporate stein bier rocks into it.

I had to google this. I might want to give it a try sometime, but not with my lager. I would like this beer to come out as clean tasting as possible, and I know that my maple syrup does pick up a slightly smoky flavor, though it boils for ever and it's barely noticeable.

Thanks everyone for your replies! As always this forum rocks!!! :rockin::rockin::rockin:

It's not as difficult as it sounds. You just need to get a really good base of coal and you need to use a BK that you don't mind smoking the outside of. You'll want some really good hard wood that won't burn up to fast. Good seasoned oak or hickory.

My Grand Pa use to make fuel for his tractor a gallon at a time over an open fire in Kentucky. He did it at night using nothing but a lantern for light. Apparently the local law enforcement folks didn't approve of the way he was packaging it though. That's how the family ended up in Arkansas.

Look up Rocket Stoves on youtube - that would be your best bet without using a ton of wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back