Wood Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
Anybody here ever use any wood chips in any style? Please describe the effects these have in GF brewing. Any noticeable differences in taste, color or anything else? Does it mask the dreaded Sorghum taste. :rockin:

1. I have. I used oak chips in a Dunkel.
2. I don't think I'd recommend it. It certainly added a complexity to the flavor but I've made this beer before and I preferred it without the chips.
3. Sorghum doesn't have an awful flavor. You just have to understand how to work with it.
4. Even with the oak chips, this is still probably one of my most popular beer with people who drink "regular" beer.

Here is my recipe: http://acts2815.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/1st-date-dunkel-2-0/

Sorghum doesn't have near as much body or taste complexity to cover up and blend with the wood as barley. It can be pulled off. I would just use less than recommended.

Other than that, it adds the same tastes it does in every other beer.

I did a sweet stout with Canadian whiskey soaked oak chip. Came out amazing! I didn't even use a lot of chips.

Back