Wood chips in Brett beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin476

Reaction score
So I am trying to clone Love buzz by Anchorage brewing. This will be for my wedding in a year or two. Here are the steps and my concerns.
1. he ferments in oak fouders with belgian yeast. (I will use a bucket)
2. then transfers to oak barrels with brett b for 8 months. (This is where I want to use oak chips to try and duplicate the barrel.) This will probably be in a bucket or carboy.
3. then bottles with wine yeast and a little sugar and age.

So my concern is laving the oak chips in for that long. I figure the surface area in the barrel is not too much so I think only a few small chips would do the job. Really I am cluless so what do you guys think?

I guess I could put them in towards the end of the brett before I bottle too??? Any help would be nice.

Have you seen this interview and recipe from Gabe Fletcher? I get very little if any barrel character in this beer. I'd use cubes instead of chips, boiled to remove wood character and then soaked in pinot noir and added when you rack to secondary.

Ya, thats what i am basing it off of. He is actually a good customer of mine but he is a very busy man so I hate to bug him about little stuff all the time. I have a ton of chips already but your right maybe I should get some cubes. Good idea on the pinot noir, I think I will do that.

Back