Wont freeze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross123

Reaction score
I just brewed a gallon of Applejack but it won't freeze anymore and it kind of looks like jello when it does does anybody know why this occurs or is it just a really really good batch. Given this is my first time attempting this

I just brewed a gallon of Applejack it froze the first time and I transferred it to another gallon jug II freeze made it look like Jell-O and it won't freeze anymore is:ban: this is a really really good batch given this is my first attempt:ban:

Whel I don't know exactly what the temperature is in the freezer but I do know it's a sub zero freezer and 16 hours later . My applejack is still verry much liquid. I don't have a hydrometer so I have no idea what the alcohol content is but I did try the old Shake and look at bubbles and thay were gone as soon as I stoped.
I went the cheep way using bakers yeast and a fast acting yeast along with 2 boxes of boiled raisons crushed I herd the raisons act as a yeast nutrients . I also fermented it for 12 days I had no airlock so a latex glove from from my local hospital went on in place..lol..
My jack was waveing at me for some time.

We generally don't advocate making hooch here. We're more concerned with making quality product and the science and art that help us do that. I would recommend reading up more on this site and try to make something worth drinking.

That said, apple jack can be pretty good. If your yeast got the alcohol up past 12%ABV or so, it may take longer to freeze. If you've already done a round or two of freeze concentration, you're probably up around 30% already and may not get much freezing beyond that.

[Edit] I just realized this is the third time you've posted this question. Don't do that! One thread will suffice, and in fact you've gotten some good responses already in one of those threads.

Back