Wondering What Others Do fermentation Procedure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmull70

Reaction score
I have done about 5 extract batches and in the process of my first all grain, a pale ale. I am on day 4 of primary in a 5 gal plastic fermentation bucket . I plan on checking the wort on day 5 or 6. Ill use my hydrometer and record the readings. when the readings don`t change for about 2 days in a row, I`ll start the secondary (a glass carboy) wait about 3 weeks. Then move to keg and wait about 4 to 5 days for carbonation to come up. Just wondering what others do?

90% of all my brews stay in the primary for 3-4 weeks, then right into the keg. No need for the secondary unless you are adding fruit, oak chips, or dry hops.

Word. Cold crash it after 3 weeks and keg. You can even dry hop i the primary, just be careful when racking to the keg.

everybody does it a little different but everyone gives a good point what I do is this-- primary 2weeks, 3 weeks if high gravity then secondary 1 week then cold condition 1 week then force carb in keg.... drink 2 hours later. I am not a big fan of open and closing lids. when I check gravity and taste and dry hop in secondary I always purge with co2 then put airlock back in....

Back