Women in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just thought it was a cool article....

and from being on this site for the last few years, it is easy to think that brewing is a "male dominated" industry and it isn't.

I'm lucky to be in Boston where there are a large number of very influential "beer women" ranging from brewers to craft beer bar owners to industry "big wigs"...

I dunno... I just thought it was a cool article. Actually... the video was cooler than the article. Cheers!

Bitches Brew: Women Make Gains in the Beer World

Yeah,I was thinking "women in beer? Wooohooo! Are they naked?" :D Seroiusly though,that sounds like the video I saw on youtube About the woman who gained success from home brewing to pro. She did a hell of a job too! Even my wife brews now.

Craft brewing IS dominated by men, but not not exclusively. There's a couple top-notch brewsters (Cf. O.Fr. braceresse "female brewer.") in Oregon.

A once specifically woman dominated task is now definitely dominated by men, as most of the world is today. I can't name one female brewer in Chicago and that includes the "lesbian brewpub" Hamburger Mary's. It's awesome to see more women getting involved in brewing and actually holding important positions, I wish some of the language and ways we spoke about women on HBT would be more respectful.

Nice read.
I started brewing last summer. Have loved every second of it. But I'll never forget when I first walked in my LHBS with a list of ingredients. The guy behind the counter asked if I was picking stuff up for my husband! Apparently not too many female brewers frequent his store:)

One of the bigger craft breweries here in Phoenix (Four Peaks) has a female brewer. Melissa something-or-other. From everything I've heard (and tasted), she's a great brewer; super nice too.

I think that's it for the entire state though. It's without a doubt a male-dominated profession.

Back